General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 A4 2.0T won't start until 10+ minutes with key "on"

Old 12-23-2015, 01:42 AM
1st Gear
Angry 2007 A4 2.0T won't start until 10+ minutes with key "on"

Hello - looking for advice and I don't know where to begin

My '07 A4 will not start until I have left the key in the "on" position for anywhere between 5-20 minutes.

When I first insert the key and turn to "on", I notice that I can't hear the fuel pump prime, nor does the "push brake" light on the shift box or "AIR BAG" light on the dash come on.

If I leave the key in the "on" position for 10+ minutes, I hear a slight 'click' and the "push brakes" and "airbag" lights come on. I then have to take the key out and reinsert them into the ignition to hear the fuel pump prime. After that, I'm good to go. What's really weird is that it drives perfectly.

I have taken the car to several mechanics and they all said they don't even know where to begin in diagnosing it, and some recommend taking it to Audi. My biggest fear is that it is some sort of sensor shorting out, and it will cost me +$2k dollars. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you

Old 12-23-2015, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

Oh, forgot to mention my car has around 94,000 miles on it.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:14 AM
2nd Gear

The fuel pump will only come on for a few seconds when you turn the key on. It will not continue to run until the ECU (Engine Computer) can see that the engine is spinning over by getting signals from the crankshaft sensor. This prevents the fuel pump from running in case of an accident and the engine is shut off. Anyway, it kind of sounds like the relay that runs the ECU or possibly the ECU itself may have a issue.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

Battery cables clean and tight? Includes all grounds.

Search this Thread