General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi A3 Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A3 Radio

Hi all,
I've just purchased an Audi A3 60plate and am looking to put a new radio in it. currently it has the original radio in it. Currently the playing radio station displays on the dashboard above the mpg display computer. If I replace the radio will this still display? and if not is there a way to make it display, and if not what will display instead?
Thanks all

Old 02-22-2016, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear

Probably not. The sound systems in these cars are made FOR the car. It's not like it used to be when you could swap out a radio with something else that "fit"... Good luck finding anything that WILL fit. Anything that you might install that will function just like the factory unit, will be custom and expensive. Personally, I think the factory units are very nice and light years ahead of what "factory" radios were back 20+ years ago. Unless you're looking for something that goes "THUMP THUMP THUMP" and can be heard for blocks around, the Bose units (Bose isn't exactly what you would call cheap anyway) that come in these cars seem to be very nice.

What is your complaint about the factory unit?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
Probably not. The sound systems in these cars are made FOR the car. It's not like it used to be when you could swap out a radio with something else that "fit"... Good luck finding anything that WILL fit. Anything that you might install that will function just like the factory unit, will be custom and expensive. Personally, I think the factory units are very nice and light years ahead of what "factory" radios were back 20+ years ago. Unless you're looking for something that goes "THUMP THUMP THUMP" and can be heard for blocks around, the Bose units (Bose isn't exactly what you would call cheap anyway) that come in these cars seem to be very nice.

What is your complaint about the factory unit?
The radio doesn't have Bluetooth and isn't digital