General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi a6 2004 1.9 TDI manual 5 speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi a6 2004 1.9 TDI manual 5 speeds

Hello,

I hope i am writting in the right section of the forum.
As the title says i have bought an Audi a6 2004 1.9 TDI manual 5 speeds last october. i did not have any problems with it. but then again i am a newb in audi and in cars altogether. also english is not my mother tongue. i hope i can explain it properly.

lately I have noticed 2-3 things with the car.

1. A squeaking sound (i cant really describe it... as if metal on metal high pitch sound) from the power steering when i turn the wheels at low RPMs. if i i give it gass then it stops. sometimes it does not happend at all. usualy it is there when i park and i go slow and i dont give it gass. it happends when the wheel is turned allmost half way through either ways.
2. the turbo doenst really come into play? i've never driven a turbo car before... but as i understood at 3500 rpms the turbo should get to work and i would feel an increase in power... doesnt really happend. it just runs normal (no power loss/boost just accelerating constantly). anyways i did not try that too much. i was normaly driving at 2000-2500 rpms for low fuel consumption and also couz i was afraid something else might be wrong with the turbo/engine (i'll explain that in the 3rd issue i found)
3. take a look at the photo. ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting the arrow pinpoints exacly where i see a leak. that metal rod is where i see the oil leaking down. it is not a huge leak. i never saw any oil on the pavement where i usualy park. but the oil is spread on the side of the engine. i also never saw any real drops of oil. the left side of the engine as you look at is just dirty.

i took it to a mechaninc he told me i should change the power steering pump/tensioner/belt/and the pulley of the alternator (the round thinggie that the belt is turning). and also the oil leaking on the side of the engine is from the turbo charger and i should change that too. What do you think?

Thank you!