General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi engines have blown oil all over the road

Old 02-20-2007, 10:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi engines have blown oil all over the road

[:@] Here we go. In the past couple of weeks Audi and VW engines have blown oil all over the road. The reason is due to freeze up ofsome part of the emmision system. In my case the PCV froze (as in ice cube) causing a failure of the valve covergaskets and the cam adjuster seals. The gaskets and seals failed because 60psi had no where to go. The repairs cost me about $1300.00 cause I have 73500 miles onmy out of warranty 2001 A6, 2.8, Quattro.

At my dealer (Appleton, WI) alone the service rep said that about 30 VW and Audi's had come in with very similar problems. The problems went across all engine types and mileages. I have checked this and other Audi forums and have found very similar problems. The problem has occured anywhere there was a sudden drop in temperature preceeded by very damp weather. I believe Audi should foot part or all of this bill. It is obvious to me that there is a design flaw that allows water to settle in the emmision system just waiting on the right conditions to freeze.

I have e-mailed Audi USA and have gotton a response by phone. In my e-mail I suggested to Audi (VW AG)that they do a study into the root cause of this problem.Not surprizingly the person on the phone could only take my complaint and record it somewhere.

If you know of any other similar occurances like this I suggest you or your friend write, phone, or e-mail Audi (VW AG). Is it class action suit time?