General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi Multitronic issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Multitronic issue

Hi,
I have a 2005 Audi A4 2.5TDI with the expected PRNDS lamp flashing on the dash...to be honest it's been flashing for over a year and I must of covered at least 20,000 miles with it flashing like that. I use it every day for work and cover 75 miles a day. The only difference in driving conditions from before is that it takes a second longer to pull away at junctions and revs much higher to do so. Also there maybe a slight judder through the drive train on occasion but nothing awful. I even tow with it now and then. Anyway I'm now thinking about fixing it and from the information just described has anyone had any success with just a TCM replacement?? in my mind I'm thinking it needs a full gearbox overhaul, but i should really try the obvious first, especially as the cost would be less if it is successful with just a TCM.
Also whats the general feeling about the "ready programmed" plug and play reconditioned TCM's you see for about £200.00 exchange?
I'm quite okay to do the replacement myself, I rebuild the top end last year with new cam, lifters, etc after the cam belt snapped...although took 2 months of evenings in the garage!

Thanks for any advice...

R

Old 01-19-2017, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry for the delay in answering this one.. The flashing PRNDS does indicate a TCM problem. Replacing the TCM would be my first course of action like you mention. Since you've been driving it like that for a while and it's really not gotten any worse indicates, to me anyway, the transmission itself is fine. It's just being told to do stupid stuff by the TCM. If you can do a top end rebuild, you've got this in the bag, man....

Old 01-20-2017, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your reply and advice...and pleasing to hear your thoughts.
I'll change the transmission oil again too while I'm there. Can't hurt to do this more often than not.
I will remove the TCM and send it away to one of the local repair places listed on the web. It would be great if it works...worth a try for £200. Better than 5K exchange gearbox.

Thank you again...

R