AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/)
-   -   Audi newbie needs convertible top advice (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/audi-newbie-needs-convertible-top-advice-69005/)

rundmsef 07-12-2007 08:52 PM

Audi newbie needs convertible top advice

Hey all,

Im a new guy looking for a bit of advice on my first Audi purchase. I am looking to purchase a 1995 Cabriolet. It is in great shape but the convertible top wont open. The seller got a quote from a mechanic to fix it for $1200-$1300. At that price, I assume the motor has gone bad (I have sent a follow up email to get more details).

Is DIY maintenance on the convertible top (I assume the motor) a real pain, or is it totally doable? Im handy in the garage and have done some work on cars in the past (replace brakes, axles, etc). Also, is there a manual override so I can still whiz around with the top down wihtout getting the repair done?

Thanks for any insight you all can offer.

rundmsef 07-13-2007 10:50 AM

RE: Audi newbie needs convertible top advice

I called the dealership today and the service department told me "Yeah, you should be able to manually put the top down. I think its detailed in the owners manual". He did not sound too confident. Can anyone verify this?

Bandido 08-17-2007 11:00 AM

I haven't worked on an Audi convertible yet, but I am relatively sure that it is a hydraulically driven convertible top. Does it give you a noise when pushing the button or do you here nothing?

I would guess low or no hydraulic fluid (leak?) if you hear the pump whining or no power to the pump or broken pump motor if you hear nothing...

hubturn 08-17-2007 02:49 PM

The top can be lowered manually. The topis a over engineered system, aggravating to troubleshoot without the appropriate manuals, and some parts are pricey to obtain. Audi sells the replacement pump for about $2400. The problem is that they sell the entire hydraulic assembly instead ofjust the electric motor. The good news is, generally, most problems are wiring issues involved with the trunk. Typically, the wire bundles break and crack at the flex points and this brings the top operation to a halt. The trunk lockis locked during top operation and this data must make it to the control module or the topwon't operate. There is a series of similar feedback issues at each step of top operation. I have a 1995 Cab and so far I am theonly one I know of,forum wise,who actually had a motorproblem. I had to clean out the commutator groves in the armature and the problem was solved.The top is fixable, it is a Pain in the XXX, but I would get a quote on the hyd assembly to show the seller and negotiate a SIGNIFICANT reduction in price. If they think it is the motor, $1200 to repair is too low. I had no success finding anyone to rebuild the motor either, hence why I had to fix it. Some later model had the option to NOT have the hydraulic top. Later models also had a computer port (Vag-Com) in the rear ashtray area to check at what point in the operation of the top the failure was occuring. Not in the '95. Audi dealers shy away from working on this system, or so it seems on the forum. Hope that helps, PM me if youconsider repairing this and I'll provide somedocumentation.Sorry to be long winded.

AlonsoWiener 04-22-2013 12:23 PM

Convertible top Plastic Window

Hopefully there's still someone here. After a hail storm the plastic window of my 97 Audi Cabriolet got shattered and forced me to tape it to prevent water damage. Any tips on how to replace it? I'm going crazy cause my car looks like crap with all the tape. Help, please?