General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

B5 - 1999 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro Avant - HID Headlight Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 - 1999 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro Avant - HID Headlight Issue!

Hey all, I'm about to tear my hair out trying to get this thing functional.

A few weeks ago my front passenger side LOW-BEAM HID headlight went out on my '99 A6 wagon.

To troubleshoot, I took the working bulb from the left headlight and swapped it over to the right. The right headlight still didn't work, so the bulb wasn't the culprit.
Next, I took the entire right side headlight unit and plugged it into the plug from the left side. That didn't solve the issue, so it's the igniter/ballast from the right side.

I ordered 'new' but working units from e-bay and installed them on the right headlight and went to turn the headlight on...nothing. So I go and check the fuse, a small 15 amp fuse. It was blow, so I was relieved and thought that changing that out would solve my issue. So I replaced the fuse, turned the lights on, and IT WORKS! It worked...for about 5 seconds. I got back to the fuse, and it's blown. I change the fuse out with another, and after a few seconds of functioning, it blows as well

So, about a week goes by and I thought I'd give it another try today. I took the entire right headlight out, cleaned every contact, looked for any cracked wires or potential shorts, cleaned the plugs, etc. Put everything back together, turned the car on, turned the lights on... IT WORKS!! So I leave the car idling with the low beams on for the better part of an hour as I eat dinner and have a beer.
I go outside and turn the car off for about a minute, then turn it back on and try to the run the low beam lights on, and again, the right passenger side is out

I look at the low beam fuse, but this time it isn't blown??? I'm sick of this thing, but would like to get it up and running by the winter time when the road conditions get bad.

I'd appreciate any help because there isn't much that I've been able to find online

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!