General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bad Cam Shaft and Followers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Bad Cam Shaft and Followers

So I brought my car in to my shop to get a new timing belt and water pump and when they took the bumper off to fix that they said I have a bad cam shaft head and followers. He says I need to replace the engine since it has 165k it's not worth replacing the cam shaft head and followers. I really like the car but can't spend 6,000 on a new engine/install. Is it reasonable that he says I can't just replace the cam shaft head or do you think he's going a little too far? I will post some pictures soon. Thanks guys!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:16 PM
1st Gear
Default photos of current condition

here are the photos he sent me...

Attached Thumbnails Bad Cam Shaft and Followers-cam1.jpg   Bad Cam Shaft and Followers-2.jpg   Bad Cam Shaft and Followers-3.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
1st Gear
Default and the rest of the pics

So the owner of the shop says I need to buy a new engine because it's not worth putting the new parts (1 new cam and followers) into the old engine (which seemed to be running just fine before I brought it in the shop). The thing that seems a little strange is that the guy working on the car (formerly an Audi Tech from a dealership in AZ) said it's not a big deal, just put new cam and followers in and it will be good to go. I don't know anything about cars and was wondering if it is common to put a new cam and followers in an old engine or if I really do need a new engine. The mechanic said that he doesn't want to take the head off and find out we need more repairs plus he said that it may take a lot of labor and money to fit the new cam and followers to the current engine. I am just wondering why the Audi tech working on it says I don't need a new engine but the owner keeps insisting that I do. Any help would be appreciated! I wish I could just tow it to the protech audi/porsche shop down the road, but the entire front end of the car is currently sitting on this guys shop floor. Here are the last few pictures he sent me. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Bad Cam Shaft and Followers-4.jpg   Bad Cam Shaft and Followers-5.jpg   Bad Cam Shaft and Followers-6.jpg