General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bad cv jonts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:47 AM
4th Gear
Default bad cv jonts?

ok from my other post, i crashed my audi last night, nothing too serious, well who am i kidding, i cant drive it, the front right wheel is rubbing agaist the fender wall and none of the gauges are working, i need some help finding out what wrong, i really dont want to since anymore money into this car, i still owe 2k on it and dont really want to see it go, although i am now seriously considering selling it as is, paying it off, and using the rest to wither buy a cheap old school audi or a honda just to get through school.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: bad cv jonts?

What is your question?

Old 02-12-2007, 03:04 PM
4th Gear

what is bent or gone bad, the cv joinmts, control arms, i pulled off the wheel last night and the shocks looked good along with the upright ut i didnt see or couldnt comprhend what was bent. im not even sure what the control arms look like

Old 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear

thereisallkindsofthignswrongbuthowamitoknowwhatswr ongwithyourcar
whydontyoupostsomepicsoraskspecificquestions

youstillneveraskedanyquestions

Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

thereisallkindsofthignswrongbuthowamitoknowwhatswr ongwithyourcar
whydontyoupostsomepicsoraskspecificquestions

youstillneveraskedanyquestions
LoL

He's fishing for advice on what could possibly BE wrong with his suspension, after smacking a curb...

SAudi, snap some pics, preferably with a better than camera-phone camera, from a few different angles. That *might* give us a place to start. No guarantees, since it's ONLY pics, and not teh actual car we'd be looking at.

Oh, and, NEXT time it looks like you're gonna smack a curb straighten out the wheel and take it head-on. Bent wheels are way cheaper, and easier to replace/repair than suspension parts.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:14 PM
4th Gear

i know, just didnt have time to react, i was thinking oh s***, should i straighten out, should i downshift and gas it, take it, BAM. ill get some pics up later tonight. im just freaking tired and pissed and smoking again.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear

I know he is fishing, but if you want help you have to ASK A DAM QUESTION!

Look, jack up your front end. Take off both front tires.
Then look at them left to right, what is different on the side you hit?
Anything out of place should be replaced.

If your mechanic skills are anything like your language skills, take it to a competent shop, my guess is all new front suspension.
You got to replace it all in pairs, so both sides.

My internet quessstimate is $2500-3500

Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 PM
4th Gear

geez who craped in your special k this morning. anyways i found out the problem the lower control arms are bent, upper control arms have torn boots, and the stabilizer link is twisted, total estimate under $700 with labor at a european car shop me and my dad use for all our euro cars and parts just for the right side are 220. so not that bad. sorry if i didnt ask a direct question.geez