General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Black smoke help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 AM
1st Gear
Default Black smoke help please

Hi all,

I have an Audi A3 2.0 TDi 140 (2005)

Whevever I start it after its not been used for 3 days or more, a big black cloud of smoke bellows out on start.

The smoke isnt too apparent after that, unless the engine is under load, for example when going up a hill the smoke bellows out (no as bad as on start) until the heavy loading has stopped.

Under normal driving conditions it sems fine, i think, as I cant see any smoke in my mirors.

Any ideas?

It has full audi service history, but is hitting 135,000 miles now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 AM
1st Gear
Default Help advice urgent

Originally Posted by Hendref
Hi all,

I have an Audi A3 2.0 TDi 140 (2005)

Whevever I start it after its not been used for 3 days or more, a big black cloud of smoke bellows out on start.

The smoke isnt too apparent after that, unless the engine is under load, for example when going up a hill the smoke bellows out (no as bad as on start) until the heavy loading has stopped.

Under normal driving conditions it sems fine, i think, as I cant see any smoke in my mirors.

Any ideas?

It has full audi service history, but is hitting 135,000 miles now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
hi all I have the exact same issue I was wondering if anyone has any updates.

The car (Audi a6 2.0 diesel automatic 164000miles on the clock just passed not) suddenly lost power while driving the glow plugs light on the dash started to flash while on the motorway. Stopped started the car again and black smoke bellowed out and continued. Loss of power and initial throttle is very slow at responding giving out a lot of black smoke.suggested MAF SENSOR HAS BEEN REPLACED

Old 04-18-2017, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

Black smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion. From the sound of it, it appears to be a glow plug issue and one cylinder is not firing properly. You need to pull the OBD codes from the ECU and it should indicate what cylinder is misfiring. A misfiring cylinder will cause loss of power. Throwing a $200 MAF sensor at it without checking the OBD codes is a waste as the other MAF as apparently fine.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 AM
1st Gear
Default codes

Originally Posted by dave944
Black smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion. From the sound of it, it appears to be a glow plug issue and one cylinder is not firing properly. You need to pull the OBD codes from the ECU and it should indicate what cylinder is misfiring. A misfiring cylinder will cause loss of power. Throwing a $200 MAF sensor at it without checking the OBD codes is a waste as the other MAF as apparently fine.
hi dave many thanks for a prompt reply the fault codes that were given to me were P1641 p0101 and p0299 the EML is no longer on neither is the glowplug light flashing. I hope these codes can provide a clearer picture

Old 04-18-2017, 11:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Further detail

Originally Posted by Anashuss
hi dave many thanks for a prompt reply the fault codes that were given to me were P1641 p0101 and p0299 the EML is no longer on neither is the glowplug light flashing. I hope these codes can provide a clearer picture
also the loss of power now seems to be when initially setting off where the throttle does not respond until a huge amount of black smoke (smothering following vehicles) is produced after which the power returns to normal and drives normal

Old 04-19-2017, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

very common in high mileage diesel engines. as long as its not consistent I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mist just be a weak glow plugs or a slight leak from one of the injectors.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear

CarbonWorx is probably right. I think the real issue is the P0299 code. Low boost PSI from the turbo. Couple that with a weak glow plug and it won't be very responsive to quick throttle inputs. The black smoke indicates a LOT of unburned fuel that will effectively kill a lot power.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

CarbonWorx is probably right. I think the real issue is the P0299 code. Low boost PSI from the turbo. Couple that with a weak glow plug and it won't be very responsive to quick throttle inputs. The black smoke indicates a LOT of unburned fuel that will effectively kill a lot power.
Hi guys many thanks for your replies the garage i took the car to today saw that the mass sensor was wrong this i had to replace with a brandnew mass sensor inclusive of the complete unit rather than the sensor alone which I previously purchased. However the engine light is now back on and the car has throttle issues and is still giving out ALOT OF SMOKE. They have advised that the turbo the injectors the pipes and the glow plugs are all seemingly ok the only thing left to check now are the catalyst converter and the egr hoping the problem is resolved soon as i am currently in den haag and sourcing parts seems to be an issue.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys many thanks for your replies the garage i took the car to today saw that the mass sensor was wrong this i had to replace with a brandnew mass sensor inclusive of the complete unit rather than the sensor alone which I previously purchased. However the engine light is now back on and the car has throttle issues and is still giving out ALOT OF SMOKE. They have advised that the turbo the injectors the pipes and the glow plugs are all seemingly ok the only thing left to check now are the catalyst converter and the egr hoping the problem is resolved soon as i am currently in den haag and sourcing parts seems to be an issue.