General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Pads Rattle, Loose Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake Pads Rattle, Loose Brake Pads

I have brake pads that rattle in the caliper when I go over bumps. It took me forever to diagnose, but I finally found the problem. It was temorarily fixed when some anti-squeal paste was applied to the back of the pads, but the rattling came back after a few months.

Is there a loose clip that is causing the pad to rattle?

Perhaps the pads are just too small since they are crappy aftermarket pads?

Do you think the problem will be solved if I get better pads from the dealer? Any suggestions on other sources of good pads?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brake Pads Rattle, Loose Brake Pads

I have brake pads that rattle in the caliper when I go over bumps. It took me forever to diagnose, but I finally found the problem. It was temorarily fixed when some anti-squeal paste was applied to the back of the pads, but the rattling came back after a few months.

Do you think the problem will be solved if I get better pads from the dealer? Any suggestions on other sources of good pads?

Thanks! [align=right][/align]

Old 10-02-2007, 12:58 AM
4th Gear

firstly is it the front or back, and 2 if its non OEM id change them. also are you sure its a rattle and not s squeak. if its a squeak it may be your rear sway bar bushings. BTW the front is the only one that has a clip, the rear pads have a built in clip.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

It is the front pads that are rattling. They are definitely rattling, and not squeaking.

Should I just get some OEM pads at the dealer, or would you suggest anything aftermarket that is just as good or better? I just want the rattling to stop.

Thanks again!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM

pads don't rattle like that or at least they shouldn't this could be they need to be serviced and indicate only one pad is doing all the work which means one side of the caliper isn't working, try some copper grease on the rear of the pads and ensure there is no rust blocking the movement of the pads

Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM
1st Gear
Default FINALLY! A solution to rattling brake pads...

The rattling noises in my car came from my inner front brake pads. I FINALLY found a solution to the problem!

The inner brake pads have retainer spring-like flanges that push against the inside of a cylinder in the brake caliper. Previously, I bent those flanges inward to make it easier to insert those inner pads into the caliper, but the brake pads rattled horribly when I drove over bumps. To address the problem, I removed the inner pads, bent the metal flanges back out (radially) so they would push up against the inside of the cylinder, which in turn now holds the pad in place and prevents the rattle. It was difficult to get the spring-like flanges to squeeze back into the caliper, but with a little massaging and slight pushing of the flanges inward, I was able to press the pads back in. PRESTO! NO RATTLING!

If you find that the rattling in your car goes away if you lightly press the brake pedal when driving over bumps, this might help you.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

i have the same exact problem the annoying rattling ... i had no rattling until i had my front brake pads changed... a few days later , the rattling started .. i took my car back to the shop where i got the work done but they couldnt figure out wat was making the noise ? can u explain to me how to fix it please

Old 06-22-2018, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jinsojoo
The rattling noises in my car came from my inner front brake pads. I FINALLY found a solution to the problem!

The inner brake pads have retainer spring-like flanges that push against the inside of a cylinder in the brake caliper. Previously, I bent those flanges inward to make it easier to insert those inner pads into the caliper, but the brake pads rattled horribly when I drove over bumps. To address the problem, I removed the inner pads, bent the metal flanges back out (radially) so they would push up against the inside of the cylinder, which in turn now holds the pad in place and prevents the rattle. It was difficult to get the spring-like flanges to squeeze back into the caliper, but with a little massaging and slight pushing of the flanges inward, I was able to press the pads back in. PRESTO! NO RATTLING!

If you find that the rattling in your car goes away if you lightly press the brake pedal when driving over bumps, this might help you.
You would not believe the amount of posts I had to sift through to find this thread. This should be added to the threads where people swap out the OEM pads due to their annoying squeel during winter months, but then have the brake rattle for a bit until they figure out this same item you have pointed out.

Brake rattle in these cars is extremely common. Damn near as common as the brake squeel that comes from the factory OEM brake pads that suck *** in winter/cold climates.

The trick with aftermarket brakes such as EBC, etc. is that you have to put some sort of adhesive (not brake quiet grease) onto the back of the brake pads that are on the outer side of the calipers. Then you need to ensure that the brake pads that are on the interior side of the caliper (where the piston is located) have the spring detents flared so the spring tension does not allow the inner pad to be jolted by the suspension, therein causing the rattle we hear that is related to "Front Brake Rattle".

The easiest way to diagnose front brake rattle is simple. Roll your windows down, and at speeds between 10mph - 40mph, listen for the sound while driving with your foot "OFF" of the brake pedal. It is easier at lower speeds, and especially if you hit mild bumps, or cracks in the pavement (nothing crazy big though, like potholes). This is where the rattle is most pronounced.

Next, while driving as previously described above at the same lower speeds, rolling over small bumps/cracks in the road with your brakes applied, you should NOT hear the rattle. Why, you ask? Because your brake caliper piston is clamping the pads tightly against the rotor, until you release the brake as you lift your foot from the brake pedal. Basically foot off brake, it'll rattle when driving. Foot on brakes, no more rattle until you lift your foot of the pedal and the brakes are free to chatter again.

FIX THE RATTLE!!!
Front Outer Pads: Finding an adhesive for the outer front brake pad's backing is easily found online.
Loctite Disc Brake Quiet 40300 can be found online, and is an "example" of a product with good reviews. Note, this is not a fix for brake "squeel". It's for brake pad rattle between the pad and the caliper!!!

Front inner brake pads: when installed correctly should be installed so that the spring on the reverse side of the pad is tight against the inside of the brake caliper piston. Try not to bend the spring detents inward when installing this brake pad, as it will increase the chance of brake rattle and will drive you in-sane!!!

I'll try to post pix soon...

Last edited by flyeyes; 06-22-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Genius

Originally Posted by jinsojoo

Mate you are an absolute life saver, ive spent a year and a half trying different things like drop links, then realized that it stopped when i braked going over bumps, realized it was the pads but had no idea those little spring things made that much of an affect on a noise that bloody loud, so embarrassing going over bumps and everyone looks at you like your car is falling apart as you drive hahaha

Old 09-16-2021, 04:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake pad rattle SOLVED

[THANKYOU SOOOOO MUCH THIS HAS FIXED THE PROBLEM I HAD! 😄😄😄😄

I had exactly the same problem and on this thread the solution was correct… it is the clips that hold in the INSIDE front pads.. I bent them out a bit and greased them the fitted them back into the calliper piston and presto!

problem solved! 😃

the insane rattling was driving me nuts.. who would think a little thing like that would cause sooooo much noise.. it sounded like my front suspension had gone!

ps I drive a 2009 vwPassat

QUOTE=jinsojoo;642888]I have brake pads that rattle in the caliper when I go over bumps. It took me forever to diagnose, but I finally found the problem. It was temorarily fixed when some anti-squeal paste was applied to the back of the pads, but the rattling came back after a few months.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Wez1704; 09-16-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads Rattle, Loose Brake Pads