General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes Creaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Default Brakes Creaking

My 2005.5 2.0T is making a creaking noise in the front brakes when the brake is applied about 80% to full. It's not speed related but pressure related, so it's not something clicking as the wheel spins. The noise is the same when stopped also. It started doing it on a hot day in traffic a few months ago and had only done it under the same conditions, but now seems to be doing it more and more under less extreme conditions. Any suggestions?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem. Ever figure out what this was?

Brian

Old 07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Senior Administrator

Brian, the other guy only posted that one time, nine months ago... IDT he's coming back to share.

As for you, there isn't a lot, that I can think of, that will "creak." Squeal, grind, rub, yeah. Creak?!?!? Have you had any brake work done, recently? Maybe they dint torque down the locating bolts properly? How long since you last had your rotors replaced? Impending rotor-hat failure? How old is your car, overall? Arthritis?!?!?!?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Haha. Yeah, you're probably right. I didn't see too many threads about it, so I figured maybe it would e-mail update him and he would respond. Thanks for the response though.

The car is just under 100k miles. It's a 2001, bought it about 6 months ago. I think the guy who owned the car before me installed new pads without turning/replacing the rotors. I haven't had any brake work done, but I did have the cv boots changed recently.

The pads look relatively new, but the back rotors are all screwed up, the brakes squeal like crazy, and I'm getting a loose rattling sound (which stops when I press the brakes, so i'm assuming loose brake pads). I really should just bring it in and have it looked at it.

THe front right creaks whenever I press the brake more than like 10%. Doesn't matter if i'm moving or at a dead stop. Even does it when the car is not running. I think it has been doing it for a long time (I only recently realized it was the brake and not suspension related).

Brian

Old 07-05-2010, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

The interface between the brake caliper piston and cast housing needs to be lubricated. If you pull off the caliper and spray silicone lube under the rubber boot around the caliper piston, this will eliminate the creaking sound you hear. I did this on my 1999 Malibu a year ago and hasn't made any noise since.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

So, I went and looked at the caliper and felt around the rubber boot. There is a crack in the rubber boot. Which must have let in dirt and brake dust, which is now binding and causing the creaking.

Any thoughts on what to do now? Is the caliper eventually going to fail? Is there a way to take apart the caliper and replace the rubber part?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Default Original Poster

Hey, I got an email that said that this thread was active. The lubrication thing is something that I've read on other posts, but I have also read that some people have lubricated and some people have paid a lot of money to have it fixed and it just came back. I just sort of accepted the sound. I haven't heard any sounds recently, so I guess it just went away.