General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

breaks? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 AM
1st Gear
Default breaks? HELP!

Ok, here goes...

So I just bought an A6 2.7biturbo from a guy in Tulsa. He bought a Mercedes and left the Audi alone for like 3 months. When I went to buy it, it had rust on the rotors, no suprise there. Anyway, it now makes this "whomp whomp whomp whomp" sound when you break. Mostly from the front. Gives some feedback through the break pedal, but not any wiggle in the steering pedal. I haven't taken the wheel's off to check it out, but was wondering if I had a pad, caliper or rotor problem there. The diagnostic computer thingy says that everything is ok, but the sound is VERY loud when breaking. Otherwise a great ride. Smooth and handles well in the corners.

OH. By the way, the CD player says CD ERR1 when I put a cd in. Tried to use a cd cleaner but still no luck. Should I take the whole thing apart and clean it? And the CD-Changer only plays out of the right speakers, but the radio uses all the speakers so I'm assuming there's a connection for the left side not installed well. Finally the sunroof **** is wiggly and you have to hold it to the side to make it work. The dealer said that's common and the part is like $100 to fix.

Please let me know soon anyone!

Thanks,

Steve
2001 Audi A6 2.7biturbo
All stock. Why mess with perfection? LOL

Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: breaks? HELP!

about your brakes - does the noise only occur when your braking? I had a squeal in my brakes at low speeds and braking... my guess is that you have a warped rotor(s)... pads are simple, they either have enough pad or not enough pad..

Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 AM
4th Gear

Brake rotors will show rust after a few days in a humid climate.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

More Info...

They make a jackhammer sound not a squeal. When breaking from fast to slow. Doesn't really do it at slow speeds in parking lots and stuff. There's a "grey" spot in the front passenger rotor. I'm guessing some kind of leftover from the rust. Anyway, just curious. I don't want to drive all the way into the Audi dealer and have them tell me it's like something simple I could fix myself.

Thanks!

Steve

Old 07-12-2007, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear

Pull the pads, & rotors off, then look for any deposits on them. If there are any, clean then up with some brake cleaner & steel wool.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 PM
4th Gear

it could be your abs sensor, pull them out and clean them up a bit, the whoop whoop whoop sounds like the abs kicking in which would also explain the feedback in the pedals.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

How do you pull out and clean the ABS sensor? Wouldn't it trip the ABS light?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: oklahoma audi
How do you pull out and clean the ABS sensor? Wouldn't it trip the ABS light?
There are 4 of them one at each wheel. You just unscrew the set screw, & pull them out. They are magnetic, so gunk sticked to them.

Yup, it can throw a code.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

Do you mean it would throw a code by cleaning them or it should be throwing a code now? I don't have any codes now, but I don't want to do something stupid and create more problems for myself. You guys have done this before with no problems?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: oklahoma audi
Do you mean it would throw a code by cleaning them or it should be throwing a code now? I don't have any codes now, but I don't want to do something stupid and create more problems for myself. You guys have done this before with no problems?
If there was a problem with the sensors, it should throw a code, but it's not a guarantee. Do you even know if it's the ABS that is cycling when you hit the brakes? You don't have any CEL codes, but are there any stored codes? I haven't done it on a Audi, but I've done it on other cars. Really it's almost idiot proof.

But back to the main problem, I think it's brake related, & not ABS related. You know rust will form on the rotors in a couple of days? It's not big deal.

Have you tried to rebed the pads? Going up to 60-80 a few times, & do a steady hard stop, NOT going into ABS. Do that a few times, till, just before fade, then drive slow, to let the cool, then park.

Quick Reply: breaks? HELP!