General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Burning oil...no sign of leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Burning oil...no sign of leak

All,

I've had my 2001 A4 1.8T for the last 5 years and I have no complaints. The car is a pleasure to own and drive. I am coming up on 70k miles and I have decided to keep it for the long haul. As a result, I am willing to invest in it more than ever to make sure it can serve me for years to come.

Recent work completed inlcudes full on brake job, timing belt/water pump replacement, tie rod replacement, and oil change.

Here is my current issue: After the work was completed, I noticed blueish/gray smoke coming out of the muffler. It has a gas/oil smell. There are no signs of oil leaks in my garage or on the car, this was confirmed by me and my mechanic. My mechanic also noticed the smokeat idle and mentioned that it is possibly the valve guide seals. The car is burining through oil and the check engine light is on. My mechanic told me it wouldcost about $600-700 more to replace all the seals. He also told me that this was not a 'huge issue' and that I couldget away with adding oil as needed until I can afford the fixes. Isthat true?

It has been about 300 miles since the work and I had to add one quart of oil already. I'm using 5W-30 full synthetic right now, but considering a heavier oil (10W-30) since it is burning off so fast. Is this something I should correct ASAP? Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for this? Finally, what would you do...bite the bullet and replace the seals or just add oil as necessary?

I appreciate your input. Any other general maintenance tips for a 70k mileA4T would be appricatited as well (tune, spark plugs etc). Thanks for helping me keep it alive!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:56 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Burning oil...no sign of leak

Just get the seals replaced, and if that isn't the problem they will have to fix it for free so what is there to lose besides buying oil at $5 a quart.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:19 AM

It could also be your turbo seals. They like to cause smoking at idle.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
4th Gear

Use 5W-40 or 0W-40. In the summer you might try 15W-50 or 20W50
fully synthetic, until you can fix the problem.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 AM
3rd Gear

I doubt it's the valve guide seals, unless you have a lot of miles on the car. It's more likly a turbo on the way out, or a clogged breather system.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I'm having it checked out again by another indpendent mechanic and I'll let you know what I hear.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

more and likely valve guid seals...especially if this is at idle and your ading as much oil as u said. also b/c its throwing a code.. if it was a blown turbo seal it wouldnt throw a code.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: b5gen

more and likely valve guid seals...especially if this is at idle and your ading as much oil as u said. also b/c its throwing a code.. if it was a blown turbo seal it wouldnt throw a code.
We don't know what code it is throwing, chances are it's totally unrelated. For the record, a blown turbo can in fact throw many codes.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

"Ur a nuttass... I have a blown K03 running on my car right now. and its not throwing anycodes. So please explain that If your such a smartass. Also seized a k04 turbo in the red a4 below \/ nvr threw a code. SO with that being said i think my first hand experiences prove you wrong.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: b5gen
"Ur a nuttass... I have a blown K03 running on my car right now. and its not throwing anycodes. So please explain that If your such a smartass. Also seized a k04 turbo in the red a4 below \/ nvr threw a code. SO with that being said i think my first hand experiences prove you wrong.
You can get LTFT codes, MAP sensor codes, rich running codes, EGT codes, primary & secondary O2 codes. What, you blew 2 turbo's so that's your definitive proof that they never throw a code? You just keep proving that you know nothing about how an modern Audi ECU works. All turbo's don't "blow" in the same way, there are many types of turbo failure.

Ok, again, sorry for the name calling, it was out of line. We can disagree all we want with out name calling!

Quick Reply: Burning oil...no sign of leak