General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Buy an Audi with a few problems for a great price?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM
1st Gear
Smile Buy an Audi with a few problems for a great price?

Hi all, so I'm new here so please excuse any newbie mistakes that I will surely make. I've been searching for the first generation of Audi Allroad cars within my local area. It just so happens that someone a block a way listed his for 2002 Allroad Quattro for $3,000- much below KBB value. The car is at 128,xxx miles, and is listed as having 'comfort control module problems' and a problem with the coolant. Now I know this isn't very detailed of a description, but is this car worth me taking a look at. What can I expect to pay to get this all fixed, and does it even NEED to be fixed. Also worth noting is that I am a first-time car buyer, with a decent budget (expecting to spend around $10,000) Should I spend my money on this car, and a few possible repairs, or one in a more stable state. Thanks for the help

Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 AM
4th Gear

I would only consider an older Audi if you have tools, you know how to use them, and you have a place to use them. Maintenance and repairs can start to add up on any older vehicle, but taking them to a shop every time something breaks really adds up quick. If your confident in your wrenching skills, what does it hurt to look at the Allroad down the street?

Why an Allroad though? Are you open to other Audi vehicles?

Old 07-25-2014, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

I'm fairly confident in my mechanical skills. I really like the Allroad for it's fun and practicality, living in the mountains. I talked to the man, and he let me know that he was originally going to sell it at a higher price, but it overheated on his wife, and it has only been driven around town since. As for the comfort control module, that seems to have acquired moisture and caused some problem with the wiring. These are relatively cheap fixes under the seat. It's been serviced all at our local Audi dealer with records to show, when he got the thermostat checked, they quoted $1,700 in extras to fix under the hood. My question is can I get away with having this nice Audi car around the $5,000 price point without going through hell and back (as I've heard from horror stories.) What I'll probably do is let the guy know that I'm interested, but I want our local trusty mechanic to inspect it for the problems listed, and other currently unknown ones. For $50, it doesn't seem like too bad of an idea. Also worth noting, I don't mind spending some money (maybe $2k per year) to keep a car going, but I am probably going to have someone else fix it for me, as I just don't have the time to be under the hood constantly. I do have a backup car for the time-being. Am I crazy, or can my needs be met?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 AM
4th Gear

three things to consider:

Why is it overheating? It's not always as easy as a thermostat.

Why is water accumulating under the seat?

At 128K miles, it should be about due for a new timing belt, which won't be cheap if you don't do the work yourself.