General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

To Buy Or Not To Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Default To Buy Or Not To Buy

Hey, joined the forum yesterday.

I could use some feed back on a 2001 S4. 47,000 miles, automatic.

I took it out for a test drive and when I took my foot off the gas the car slowed very quickly (dropped like a rock). There was hardly even any coasting. If I was stopped and I took my foot off the brake the car wouldn't idle forward. I have never been in a car that didn't idle forward to some degree or another. I wasn't bright enough to look at the RPMs while all of this was going on but the car ran strong and hauled @$$ if I punched it.

Is that the way all S4's run or is there a problem with this car? I can afford the car but not if it has a lot of problems that I don't know about until it's too late.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Cheers,
Chris

Old 07-26-2006, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: To Buy Or Not To Buy

test drive another car and then compare

Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

Was the e-brake on?

Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

If the engine and tranny arent warmed up yet you could get the sensation that the car is braking after letting off the gas. As the tranny warms up it will shift down quicker and allow more wheel spin. Odd that it didnt creep in gear at idle unless you were on an incline. These cars could run up one heck of a tab even if the car is in good shape at time of purchase. Good Luck!