General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Buying a used Audi A4 - Some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Default Buying a used Audi A4 - Some Q's

I'm hoping to buy a used Audi A4 today. 2000, 2.8, automatic, 72k miles

I was told that it was a single owner, and was faxed the CARFAX which is clean.

I'm wondering if there are any common A4 problems that I should check for before I buy. I'm an engineer, but I am a girl so that works against me. I'm wearing one of my engineering shirts with a gear on it, to try to improve my credibility, and I can talk the talk decently. I had an old Ford before, so I'm not real familiar with the Audis and don't know what to look for.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 07-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Default RE: Buying a used Audi A4 - Some Q's

one owner 2000 72k sounds like a peach but then that's how the 2.8 sells, check all service history and for excess wear and tear on peddles/ steering wheel/ driver seat/ tyres

Old 07-10-2006, 11:31 PM
4th Gear

A girl engineer, if anything you should have more credability since the males in the U.S. are falling behind. but on to the car. The B5 A4 had the commom problems of minor electrical problems such as bulbs burning out, also good choice on the 2.8 30v since it is a more reliable engine and suffers less problems then its 1.8t counterparts, not many tuning parts though. also the tie rods have a problem, so its a good idea to have those serviced with and upgrade, the t-belt should also be replaced as part of preventative maintenece. and the auto tranny are pretty good now espacially since its a tiptronic, which i believe is a notch faster than stick. well i hope this helps, good luck and welcome to world of Audi.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:53 PM
pwp
1st Gear

I'd never buy an Audi again, it's been in the shop on average once a month... horrible electrical problems and its not just me.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

massive electrical problems. i disconnected my battery and my car wouldn't run for a week

Old 09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
1st Gear

don't listen to the pessimists - my best friend had a 98 A4 2.8 for about four years. The only major problem was a replacement of clutch, but that's not really a reliability problem (let's just say he abused the stick shift).
One thing though, do check the suspension for any existing problems - tie rods can be tricky.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:02 PM
pwp
1st Gear

PESSIMISTS????????????

Live one day in my shoes when it comes to my Audi problems and you'll choke on your words.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

ok, ok I apologize, pwp. I didn't mean for it to sound like your problems aren't important. And I know what its like to have my car in the shop all the time (though I've been pretty lucky with my Audi thus far - almost a full year).
But let's face it, you want the most reliable car - you buy a Lexus. Audi buyers look for more than only reliability. To me the choice fell on Audi after driving a few of them (my buddy's 98 A4 2.8 being one of them). Yes, I know the car can get expensive to fix, and if you will, I'm running a risk with my bi-turbo engine. But that's all worth it in the end when I floor my throttle on icy roads and feel the acceleration and the handling... but hey, I'm just one guy.

Like I said, check the tranny and the suspension, make sure the engine's good - no weird noises and all.
You want to catch your future ride when its cold when you're first starting itbuying it - if it runs kind of rough, it may indicate some problems in the future. You want to drive the car next to some kind of wall with the windows open (so that the noise coming from the car reflect of those walls and you can hear in more detail if there are any unusual noises coming from the suspension or the engine), try to find a place where you can do this while waving the car from right to left (without hiting anyone). Turn the steering wheel all the way to the lock on either side and listen to unusual noises from the power steering pump - keep in mind, if its a quattro, it almost should make a slight wining noise at full lock - but make sure that the noise is not overly aggressive, or you may be readying yourself for a purchase of a power steering pump knock on wood, pay the seller and enjoy.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 AM
pwp
1st Gear

its ok, thx for clearing it up.

ps. bi-turbo... damn!! goodluck. that shounds awfully sweet!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

From what I have come to see in the last year, since I began to love the Audi’s is that they are very good cars if you take care of them. My boss here at Pure-Motorsport has a 1998 A4 1.8T and the worst thing to happen to his car was the water pump going out at the track (yes he takes it to the track about once a month and hammers the thing on the track) and on top of that he is the original owner. I believe Audi's are like any performance car they need a lot of TLC, and if you stay on top of the maintenance (regular oil changes, timing belts every 60K, and watch those front control arms) you will have no problems.

PwP it sounds like you just got a raw deal. I deal with A4 owners all day and they love there cars and have very few problems with them, but one thing I have notice with all of them are that they do most of all their own maintenance and do it regularly. It sucks that you where dealt a crap hand with the Audi. From all I have seen I myself am buying a 99 A4 1.8T Quattro in 5 months for the reliability, and the simplicity of the tuning potential and the vary exciting driving experince.

Back to answering your question about which is better 2.8 or the 1.8T can't help you there I have not a lot of experince with the 2.8.

Quick Reply: Buying a used Audi A4 - Some Q's