General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car overheating or bad Fan? Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Car overheating or bad Fan? Help

I have a 2001 2.8 A4 Quattro with 93k miles and every time I'm driving the radiator fan is going... To explain more I live in the Northeast so it's usually not very hot & even on a morning start (completely cold engine) the radiator fan turns on with the car and doesn't ever stop running until I shut the car off.. even on cold days and nights. Sometimes while driving from a Red light or in traffic I hear fans like rev with the car and the car almost feels sluggish for a second until I hit 2nd gear and it goes away & I stop hearing the fan BUT if I pull over and check and the fan will still be on.. Also once in a while if I run into a store for a few minutes and come out & start the car the Temp Gauge will read a little Hot (past the middle) but once I start driving again it goes back to normal.. My Oil Temp is usually between 225 - 245. All of the fluids are full and I don't have any leaks. I don't have any engine codes. So my question is, do I have a bad fan? Is my car over heating? I've heard maybe it's a bad Thermostat, or to try to replace the Engine heat sensor, the Coolant Fluid Sensor or the Electric Fan Relay. Anyone have an idea? It's driving me crazy. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2022, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

My moms Audi A6 08 I have been driving does the same thing. Super noisy fans, engages at startup and seems to keep running. So i tried some buttons in the cab. Turned off auto for the a.c., heater vents. Then clicked off the econ on/off button. Doesnt do it anymore. Pretty cool, must be part of the econ system malfunctioning. Or maybe thats just how it works. Dont know much about audis but the problem is now resolved and I dont hear that noisy thing running constantly.