General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Chattering under load? HELP.. This sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Chattering under load? HELP.. This sucks.

DAMMIT.. I put a beating on my car the other day getting out of the ice.. Reverse forward reverse etc etc...
So yesterday I noticed when I would take a turn in second and punch the gas it would be a little slower to pick up speed.
Then today I noticed if I got on it a little bit in 1st 2nd and 3rd it would kind of bog and I would get a vibration in the wheel. Then towards the end of the day I would hear a pretty loud chatter if I hit the gas hard under load in low gears. Does nothing strange in neutral. .. I drove about 120 miles today and it was less than enjoyable. it sucked. So.. Im guessing clutch. Like the clutch is slipping or the flywheel is glazed? That wouldnt be so bad I guess. I mean it would suck. im broke now but at least its not bent valves or anything. I mean after getting to 4th and 5th gear .. and even 6th (110 MPH) : ) the car was fine..
By the way its a 01 A6 2.7t... 80k miles..
Just looked at the receipts and it doesnt look like the clutch has been replaced replaced yet.
So.. If it is the clutch.. Should I get rs6 clutch? S6 clutch? Or stock? im not going to be putting too much power through this for a while.. thanks.
Also where to get one? i have some connections at parts suppliers. Im sure they stock A6 clutches. Or is ebay a good idea or not/ Ive bought ALOT of stuff from them but Audi parts is a little different. thanks alot guys. Wont be sleeping tonight now

Old 02-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Chattering under load? HELP.. This sucks.

send a PM to rayveedub, if it turns out it's the clutch. He's my "parts/service" guy, and can sometimes (but not alwasys) find a decent deal on parts. Tell him "Jazz (that's ME) sent you his way.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Thanks man.. There was a luk clutch on ebay for like $230.. Thats a good brand.
I never blew a lcutch before so Im not sure if thats it or not.. I can still drive and not get chatter if im easy on it.. and once over 3k rpms i dont get any bog, chatter or whatever.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:19 PM

clutch with that noise?? sounds more like loose drive shaft or something that increases with sound as you drive faster ( im sure we all know what clutch slip feels like ) could be something else??

Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

See thats the thing.. It goes away after say 2500 rpms.. steering wheel shake and the sound go away. but its not dependent on speed either.. say 10 mph in 1st shakes... then get it into second at 3k rpm and the wheel shakes again.. then goes away again. I dunno. I never blew a clutch so I have no idea.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Administrator

Actually, it sounds more like what I useta go thru with my old Bee-Emm-Trouble-U, when I hadda cracked spark plug wire. Until teh rpm climeb high enuf, it felt like I was driving around with an unbalanced washing-maching load for an engine...

Old 02-19-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Funny... I was thinking it kind of felt like it was bogging due to spark and then maybe while under load its jsut rattling the **** out of a heat shield or something. Im going to put it through some work today and also get my friend to lookat it tomorrow night.