General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch

Old 10-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Default Clutch

Just bought a '98 A4 2.8L yesterday and I'm looking for a little more info. Don't know a ton about cars, but my clutch catches really high. I barely have to push the thing down, which is nice, but it's so high it's almost uncomfortable. Is this something that will get lower as my clutch wears out? Can I lower it manually? If so, how hard is this? Any help would be great.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Clutch

yes the clutch has a hi8gh engagement point and tes as the clutch wears teh travel length will get less. no you cannot manually adjust it.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 AM
3rd Gear

The clutch gets higher as it wears out. Yours sounds like it may be on its last leg. A new clutch would lower the engagement point.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

I haven't crawled underneath to check in the Audi, but in my Sentra and 300ZX I could manually adjust the pickup point, and I believe this is a feature on nearly every car out of necessity. In the other cars, there's a threaded rod coming off the back of the clutch pedal arm, which goes into the master cylinder. There is a locking nut on that rod that positions it. You can loosen the locking nut, turn the threaded rod (not much - a little turning does a lot for the pickup point), then retighten the nut to change the pickup point. It'd probably require some trial and error to get it where you'd like it, but that's how I have always adjusted them in the past. Take a look in your car and see if this is possible (let us know here too).