General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Code reading and climate control

Old 03-22-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Code reading and climate control

Hello fellow Audi enthusiasts I just recently bought my first Audi 96 A4 Quattro 2.8, 5spd (black on black) super slick and I love it. But with any used car there are things that need to be fixed and for this it looks like I need a code reader. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand or type, I'm pretty sure I need a OBD II but I was looking at an online add for one and the company suggested that for Audi's that it's best to get a VAG unit. What is the difference and what should I get? Also the climate control unit fades in and out, is this common? how do I fix it? Thanks for you time.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:19 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Code reading and climate control

well if you just need a cimple code reader just get one that says it works on audi and VW off of ebay, if your just reading and clearing codes its all you need, an expensive VAG-COM is not crucial. also not sure what you mean as to your climate control fades in and out is it the lights or the unit itself. lights tha are on their way out will go on and off and make it hard to read, if hte panel goes completly dead then you need to follow these steps. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec153.shtml
in an extreme case you will need to either get a rebuild kit for 60 odd dollars or a new/remanufactered unit which will range from 40-150

Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

Thanks theres a lot of people that this will help.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

Ok so I took the unit out and resoldered the points from the ribon and now the lights work perfect and the face display doesn't cut out anymore. But, the ac and the heater still don't kick. The ac turns on everyonce and a while but goes right back off, it feels like it's charged cause it blows cold but it keeps cutting off. Any other suggestions?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 AM
4th Gear

well i have 3 guess's 1) the unit is faulty and need to be replaced 2) 96-97 had a sensor on the low side A/C line and its proably bad or the serpintine belt is loose, i had the same problem on my old car and finally the heater problem may be due to a clogged heater core. me i would start with the sensor, by making sure it hooked up right and what not, if needing to replace get a cheap one off ebay or someone parting their car.