General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Convertible top question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Convertible top question

I have a 1998 Cabriolet, 29,000 miles. The top retract mechanism has a nylon string attached through, to both window flap sections on the inside. One end of the strings has pulled loose, releasing the tension it held on some interior mechanical component that allows the top to retract. I can pull the loose end and tie it off so the top will retract. I hate to tie it off permanently, so it may require a trip to a top shop. The Audi dealer won't fool with it - they'd send it out anyway. I haven't shopped for a top shop fix-it quote, but I was wondering if someone else has run into the same situation. ??

If I get a response to this question, I have another regarding the ski boot that is supposed to run between the rear seats. Uhhh, how do you open the rear seat section to allow the ski boot to penetrate through? The speakers are in the way. To my knowledge, the boot has never been used and we are the second owners, not that we want to use the functionality, but are curious.

Thanks for any input.

Jim

Old 04-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Default RE: Convertible top question

I have a 98 also. I didn't have the same probleme, but I did completely replace the top myself. I got quotes from the top shops, and they over chrge for everything. The three I looked in to wanted 2,300-2,700 to replace the top(including the to itself). I bought a top for 350 and replaced it in two days with no experience. They will charge you a lot, I would tie it off or try to fix it by yourself. If its what I think it is, there is actully a sce that goes through the string to hold the tension.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chooce22

I have a 98 also. I didn't have the same probleme, but I did completely replace the top myself. I got quotes from the top shops, and they over chrge for everything. The three I looked in to wanted 2,300-2,700 to replace the top(including the to itself). I bought a top for 350 and replaced it in two days with no experience. They will charge you a lot, I would tie it off or try to fix it by yourself. If its what I think it is, there is actully a sce that goes through the string to hold the tension.
Thanks for responding. You are brave; I would never have thought to replace the top by myself. Anyway, my car has always been garaged and the top is in fine shape. The rear window is cloudy, however.

Now - to your input: I have tied the string off and the top goes down and up without problem. What is the item you are referencing as "sce"? From what I can see, the aft end of the string is attached to some sort of spring near the trunk deck lid. I supopose it's the string that provides the tension to whatever is being held in place (or out of place).

Jim

Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 PM

I don't suppose the problem with your roof was anything to do with the rear storage not opening more than 30 degrees and therefore not completing the cycle - I've got this problem where the canvas seems to fold correctly but the back parcel shelf which should open to 90 degrees gives up after a few seconds of trying therefore not allowing the cycle to complete...
I would massively appreciate any advice
Cheers,
Mark

Old 04-20-2006, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: markmevans

I don't suppose the problem with your roof was anything to do with the rear storage not opening more than 30 degrees and therefore not completing the cycle - I've got this problem where the canvas seems to fold correctly but the back parcel shelf which should open to 90 degrees gives up after a few seconds of trying therefore not allowing the cycle to complete...
I would massively appreciate any advice
Cheers,
Mark
Mark,

What you describe is the inoperative top action I got before I tied off the loose end of the string. Honestly, I don't know if my string thing is allowing the top retraction mechanism to work or if it "just happens". However, I don't argue with success. Tension on the string seems to have something to do with the top retraction process. As I indicated earlier, the front end of the string was stitched onto a leather strip reinforcing the fabric - between the top framework and the top material. And, the top retraction worked very well until I caused the string to come loose.

Good luck,

Jim