General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cranks but won't start, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Cranks but won't start, no spark

I have a 1997 Audi a4 Quattro 2.8L. It cranks but won't start. And gets absolutely no spark. I just put a new ignition control module in and still nothing. The person I bought it off of told me they over heated it and pulled over, let it cool down then drove it home and let it sit till she sold it. I've been playing with this car for a month now and can't figure it out. Can someone help????

Old 01-15-2015, 09:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Scope Time

You need to check and make sure you have signals coming from the cam and crank sensor. These are 2 reasons why no spark and no injector pulse.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

first your engine speed sensor or crank sensor on the bottom of the motor right next to the engine oil cooler it's held in by 5 millimeter allen bolt.and then the cam sensor is on the side of the head closest to the firewall on the drivers side also held in by five millimeter bolts.if you don't have access to a lab scope you need to get a multimeter make sure your grounds are good on the sensors and also make sure you have signal voltage from each sensor to do that you're going to have somebody crank over the car and see if you're going to signal voltage end of each one I'm betting that its either your crank sensor or your cam sensor.

Last edited by tommyoberster23; 01-15-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 01-22-2015, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tommyoberster23
first your engine speed sensor or crank sensor on the bottom of the motor right next to the engine oil cooler it's held in by 5 millimeter allen bolt.and then the cam sensor is on the side of the head closest to the firewall on the drivers side also held in by five millimeter bolts.if you don't have access to a lab scope you need to get a multimeter make sure your grounds are good on the sensors and also make sure you have signal voltage from each sensor to do that you're going to have somebody crank over the car and see if you're going to signal voltage end of each one I'm betting that its either your crank sensor or your cam sensor.
So I found the crank sensor... I think, but it's held on by looks like a 10mm bolt and then almost a foot back I see a hole that looks like a crank sensor can fit in, with a single bolt hole. But I followed the wire from the one that's there and it plugs into right below coolant tank