General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dash stopped working not car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Dash stopped working not car wont start

So my wife called me the other day and says that the das isn't working her 04 a4. When I get home I verify that only the backlights come on but it doesn't read anything else and the blinkers don't work but it still ran. So I decide that I will check all the fuses. After verifying they are all good, I try to start the car and it starts for 1 second then shuts off. So I unhook the battery and let it sit for a while and hook it back up and it still does the same thing. The key fobs no longer do anything either so I tried to reset those according to the way the owners manual describes but that doesn't work either. I'm a motorcycle mechanic by trade but I'm a little lost with this thing. Im guessing that I have caused some sort of issue with the immobilizer system but i can't figure out how to reset it. Also, none if the back lights come on on the dash now. But the triangle emblem with the exclamation point in it comes on. Again it is an 04 a4 Quattro with the 1.8l. Any ideas?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

So I meant dash not das. I'm just kinda hoping for some pointers on the starting issue and I can dig into the dash issue later. Unless of course they are related.