General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Done With Audi! Had Enough

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Done With Audi! Had Enough

O.K...I waited until I got rid of my last Audi to post because I didn't want to jinx myself but let me vent and see if others have had the same issues! I have two Audi's and last night got rid of the last one and will never ever consider Audi again. First, I had a 99 A4 which seemed to be a nice vehicle when I first bought it. It was well maintained by myself w/having service completed by the local dealer as scheduled. However at 60K when the timing belt "mysteriously" went bad I didn't realize the turmoil I was about to endure. After having to shell out 3500K for the repairs due to the damage to the engine, the vehicle was never the same. The repairmen failed to torque the head bolts properly causing oil to seap, the compression was never the same etc.... By this time we had already purchased a new A6 because we were happy w/the A4 (the a6 purchase came prior to the timing belt incident.) Back to the a4! We turned the A4 over to our daughter to drive to and from college. At 85K she noticed some play in the steering so we had it checked at the local foreign car shop. Both the inner and outer tie rods, hubs, and bearings were bad. About 2000K worth of work to be completed. We had the dealer confirm all of this prior to having a local guy due the work on the side for much less. Back on the road the A4 went and at 108K my daughter sends me a picture of her car smoking heavily after starting one evening. After compression tests are performed the local audi certified shop is convinced it's the head gasket. $700 later it turns out the head is cracked. A4 gets 1500 on trade end of story! Now to the A6. At 34K the stereo quits working all together and both turbos need replacement. Fortunately this was covered but the inconvience was frustrating enough. At 65K the coils start going bad and not until we pay for three of them at $225 a pop do we get notified that there is a recall. Recall completed but reimbursement still not processed. At 87K get quoted $1400 for 90K service by dealer. Decide to shop a bit and see if we want to put that kind of money in a car that hasn't been reliable. At 88K in the middle of our shopping the check engine light comes on for temperature control and the transmission starts slipping. 6000K the A6 gets on trade w/90K. Both these vehicles were taken care of and serviced as scheduled. They were purchased for 34K and 47K brand new. Regular maintenance including oil changes, brakes, fluid flushing, etc....There is absolutely no reason for this to have happened. The only thing I can say is that I'm glad not to have to worry my wife is going to call every morning with another 1500K dollar problem with the car. There, I'm done, thanks for listening.