General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dynamic Dimming Control Warning Light Help!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Default Dynamic Dimming Control Warning Light Help!

I recently bought another Audi A4 about 2 months ago, upgrading from a 2000 1.8T. The new 2003 3.0 that I have has zenon headlights which my last did not have. I am experienceing a problem with the headlights which I am not sure is worth looking into or fixing. When either starting from a stop on putting pressure on the engine while going up hills, I am experiencing something I can only discribe as a flickering of my headlights. I am not sure if it is worth mentioning that it is a 6 speed manual.

I didnt think anything of it until yesterday and today when while going up hills and accelerating the warning light came on that said left dimmer control (switch). I cant remember which one because it was only on for a second. It stays on for a second and then turns itself off. When it came on it almost appereared as if the lights had turned off and all I was seeing the road with were my fog lights. Once I let off the gas some the lgihts returned themselves to normal. There seems to be a direct correlation between when I accelerate quickly, when I am going up hills and when the the engine is acceerlating from lower RPMs.

I have read a little bit about this on line, but cant seem to get exactly what the problem is. Some one had mentioned something about a programming problem, but I am not sure if that is correct. Since this is my first audi with zenon headlights I am sort of at a loss here without going to the dealer which I DO NOT want to do.

Can anyone offer any help on this subject? Thanks so much!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Dynamic Dimming Control Warning Light Help!

It should be easy to figure out. The B6 A4's are notorious for having bad headlight switches (rotary switch)
So if just one light is flickering and the other one is working fine then i would say its a headlamp igniter problems. If both headlamps flicker at the same time, then i would guarantee its a headlight switch problem.
To pull the switch outyou push in on the ****, turn it to the right, then you pull straight backwards and the switch should come out.