General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Default electrical issues

Guys

I was hoping to get some help or advice on an issue i'm having with my 2002 A4 (Quattro). My state inspection is due this month and I am having some problems with my lights (primarily turn signals) and electrical system. Below is an overview of what has been going on.

For about the past 3 to 4 weeks the turns signals would intermittently go in and out. The error message related to the turn signal would appear on my display panel. After a little time it would usually go out. I do know that when the error signal appears that the turn signals were in fact not working. I find it odd that this would happen...if a bulb is burned out i would assume it would simply stop working for good. The problem has slowly gotten worse and now neither turn signal (I am talking about front turn signals) work. I am wondering if it may be a fuse of some kind that I am unaware of?

In addition to the turn signals I am having issues with my display panel above the steering wheel (just the square box where the red LED). For whatever reason, when i first turn on my car the top part of the display seems to "fade out" and appear either very faded or even missing. If i drive the car for a half hour or so the LED will slowly start to come back and will eventually show a full display. Not sure what may cause this.

I am primarily concerned with the turn signals since I have an inspection due this month. I was going to just replace the turn signal bulbs myself this past weekend but decided to post here first. Didn't want to waste my time if the problem is related to a fuse or larger electrical problem as opposed to the bulb.

As a side note, i will say that in many ways I have been very dissapointed with my A4. I bought it new in 2002 and have had a lot of problems. I love the way it drives but i feel like there is always a problem with it, and i have already dropped serious coin keeping it on the road. Among other electrical issues i have had include my rear passenger window no longer working and my sun roof periodically just opening and closing itself for no apparent reason.

Any help you guys can give me on the lights issue would be huge. The car has about 118k on it and as far as i know the bulbs are the originals (not sure on that though). I thought maybe someone on here may have experienced similar problems with the A4.

Thanks in advance