General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Emmision question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Default Emmision question

Okey dudes and dudets. The other day I went to do my emision, well I passed. But I want to know more. So naturally I come here.

Emision results:
_________________HC___CO___NOx
Test Limits __:::___0.8___15.0__2.00
Test Results_:::____0.27__2.5__1.02

My car has already 190K miles and nothing was changed as far as I can see, so like stock cats, etc...

So like What does it mean, in terms of like Cat and burtning like please explain that stuff, I'm taking chemistry this term so like soon I know for sure, but my curiousity eats me inside very hard.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:39 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Emmision question

HC is unburned hydrocarbons

CO is carbon monoxide

NOx is oxides of nitrogen

all in parts per million.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:28 PM

So, burning is not very good. and cats are fine. Okey thnx.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:29 PM
3rd Gear

Looks like the results of a properly running engine.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:37 PM

okey cool, that what I wanted to hear.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:11 PM
3rd Gear

The internal combustion engine is far from perfect and even with the best fuel metering and spark timing will ocassional misfire or partially misfire. Thats where the hc's and co's come from. Youll never have 0's. Not even on a brand new engine. Hc's are the results of misfires. It is just unburned fuel. Co's come from partially burned fuel. Usually in a vehcile running rich with not enough air to mix with all the air. Nox is created in very high combustion temperature. These temperatures occure at light load and cruise conditions. High nox values indicate an egr or cat problem. But all your numbers are ok.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:24 AM

cool thanks for the info.

Actually from what I remember when I was young, and my dad did testing on his car, it was VAZ 21063 it had Propane system instaled for 11 years.

He had like HO CO NOx at low levels like 0.3 0.1 0.5 (respectably) Car had no cat for that matter too.
From what I remember We mad the car run so lean it barelly started. We had to use the Choke to fire it up.
When on Highway, or for a long treap. We would start the car, let it run a bit. Then lean out that way that car would not srart, or run properly for that matter too. To make car idle choke was all the way out and idling at 1400RPM any bellow would stole the engine. We would make 40MPG trips. Thats 17 year old car with carburator, 1.3L engine.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:09 AM
3rd Gear

Wow a 1.3 on propane. That car musta been really slow as propane contains less energy than gasoline. You are correct however about the emissions. Propane burns far cleaner than gas.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 AM

the engine was only 65HP and after 10 years the compresion was I believe to be 11, 11.3, 11.2, 13 bars each cylinder. the engine was so clean, like it was running only couple of minutes from the factory new.

car was fine, cannt complain. 4 spead. max speed is like 100 miles, weight like 2200 LB. So basically as slow as a A4 with 1.8 with no turbo.

The Propane maid it go slow, but no copmlains, propane is half the gasoline price, and before like 10 years ago it was only a quater of gasoline.

If prices of gas continues to rise, I propose to get together and get Methane or Propane system instaled as group.

PS a man that my dad used to know back then, bought a VW passat 1993, he instaled the propane, and his car had Cat. he got like 0.05 0.1 0 HO CO NOx. Another one had Alfa Romeo model Juliet. He got 0.1 0.05 0.05 HO CO NOx with propane and cat.

I still dont get it why catalitics afraid of leaded gas. Back there all gas was leaded and is. And no prob to the cars with cats. Some people just leave them in and dont care that much.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:40 AM

oh, I forgot, they dont add any adictives exept the gas that makes the smell be like raw eggs to the propane it self. And during winter they add between 10-20% Butane to it, to lower the octane number. Its hard running when the outside temp goes below -20F during winter. there is no human way to start directly on the Propane during that time, always used Gasoline to statr heat up a bit, then switch.

Quick Reply: Emmision question