General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

The engine just stopped running

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Default The engine just stopped running

[align=left]It snowed here in Maryland recently so of course i took my "new to me" 1995 S6 out to see just how incredible it is in the white stuff. As i expected it was a complete GAS! Well that was right up until on my way back to the office the engine just stopped running. The 2.2 turbo has 160,xxx miles on it. A few days before the incident it was sputtering a little. I figured it was time for either fuel filter or plugs. I changed the plugs. On the drive back there was more sputtering before it completely stopped. I figured it was the fuel filter this time. I changed it. And when i was loosening the fittings gasoline was squirting out from the inline. From the outline on the filter the fuel was under pressure as well though not as powerfully as the inline. This led me to believe there was nothing wrong with the pump at the time i was changing the filter. Additionally, the filter i removed was so completely blocked i was unable to get air through it in the normal direction and only black crud came out from the other direction.

Now, the car won't start. I've loosened the inline from the filter and cranked the ingnition to see if fuel was at least pumping that far. Nothing. I've replaced the fuel pump relay with a new one. Nothing. My mechanic friend believes it could have something to do with a security cutoff. If this is the case could it be temporarily or permanently deleted to check whether or not it's at all involved?

Can anyone help me with this ?
[/align]

Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: The engine just stopped running

Check and see if you have 12 volts going to the pump. If you do you have a bad pump. A plugged fuel filter will kill a pump quickly. Never heard of a securiity cutoff.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

I concur with darkhound, check the fuel pump, with it engerized you should be able to hear it. Is it in the line under the back seat near the back door or in the tank?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
SoCal Crew Member

what about this possibly being a spark issue? check to be sure you are getting spark...and while your at it check compression.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 PM
3rd Gear

what about this possibly being a spark issue?
Checking spark would be important if there is power to the pump. On most audis if there is no engine speed signal you will get no fuel or spark.