General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine just stopped - unique sound

Old 12-14-2018, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine just stopped - unique sound

Hi Everyone

I have a 1999 Audi A3 1.8 non-turbo. Driving home last night the engine just suddenly stopped while doing about 40 km/hour. Unlike the typical sound that one wound get when an engine stalls while still in gear, there was a relatively higher pitch sound as if the engine wasn't even turning (almost the type of sound that a starter motor makes when it's not engaging with the flywheel.) Once stopped I then checked all the fuses ........ fine. When the car is in gear, clutch disengaged, and I turn the starter, the car moves forward like it would normally do but with an abnormally higher pitch sound. When the car is in neutral and I turn the starter, I can see that the engine is turning, by looking at the fan belt and alternator, but it does not sound like an engine trying to start. I then pulled the spark wire and there is no spark. Checked the battery voltage ...... fine. I usually have to replace the coil pack once a year, so bought a brand new one ....... made no difference. I also tried to push start it. Just this strange noise

So what can this be? Engine stopped while driving. Strange high pitch sound when engine is turning. No spark even though engine turns fine.

Please help
Thanks