General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Noise - '02 A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Noise - '02 A4 1.8T

Hello All,

New to the group - recently purchased a 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro (auto with trip) with about 95,000 KMs on it. It seemed to be in great shape. Two weeks after acquiring the car it was in the shop for "engine sludge". Fortunately, Audi covered the repairs under the extended warranty around this issue. I got the car back on Friday of last week. Several parts were replaced (hoses, feeds, lifters, etc.) as well as the recall for the blower.

I notice now that when I have the car in drive and the engine reaches about 2100 RPM there is a very noticable "whirring sound" that is of a very high pitch emitting from the engine compartment. This sound increases in frequency/pitch and volume as the RPMs increase up to about 3500 RPMs when the gears shift and it cycles back to the original pitch (and so on). The sound could be described as "whirring" but it could also be described as the sound a distressed vacuum cleaner might make (but of a higher pitch).

This noise only occurs when the car is in drive (I have not tried it in reverse) and the noise does not occur when in either Park or Neutral. As such, I can not specifically locate where in the engine compartment the noise is located. Incidentally, at first I thought this could be "interference" with the stereo so I turned the stereo and climate control off. The noise still occurs.

Yesterday, the MIL illuminated as well. Accleration seems "off".

I am looking for some opinions from people in the know before I bring the car back to the dealer.

Thanks for you help

Old 08-23-2006, 01:15 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Engine Noise - '02 A4 1.8T

Sounds like a failed turbo. Im assuming by blower you mean turbo. Even if its brand new a plugged oil line can cause it to fail almost immediatly. Were the turbo feed and return oil lines replaced.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

I think you are right that it is the Turbo. I also noticed that the "noise" also only occurs when the accelerator is depressed (i.e. even at 2100+ RPMs - if the accelerator is not depressed the noise stops).

Unfortunately, I do not have the receipt with me at the moment for the service done last week. I do recall the service guys noting that they replaced all lines/hoses etc. The parts and service list on the sheet was extensive.

Here is my question - If the Turbo has failed - can this be directly attributed to the Oil Sludge problem I had "repaired" last week? Again, this problem only manifested itself once I picked up the car from the garage. I want to establish causality to ensure this will be covered under the extended engine warranty and that I won't get screwed.

Thanks for your help

Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Yup - Turbo is shot. Fortunately, Audi is covering it under extended engine warranty. Not sure the extent of the repair other than it is a full replacement of the turbo "system".

They are also claiming that the evaporator is acting up. What does that mean exactly?

Old 08-24-2006, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear

Thats part of the ac system. Does your ac work ok.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

Turbo was just replaced yesterday (under extended engine warranty). Performance is MUCH better now. Noise is pretty much gone though I can hear a very slight whirring sound though I suspect that is normal when the turbo kicks in.

They replaced the evaporator - it was also covered. I thought it was part of the exhaust system?

AC seemed to be fine.

Anyhow - she seems to be running just fine. No issues with any other part of the car (YET).

Cheers