General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Default Engine noise

hey guys. I have a 96 Audi A4 Quattro. I bought it about 9 wks ago. Soon after buying it, it developed a tick in the engine. It kindof sounded like an exhaust leak at the manifold(Im not very mechanic so I dont know for sure). The tick didnt affect performance or my mpg, as it was my daily driver. For all its life its had synthetic oil through it, and I gave it a fresh change last week. Monday when I was coming home from work the engine gave out. It was fine all day, but near my exit the engine starting missing and losing power. I pulled off on a side street and it shut off and would not start. It turns over slowly but will not fire. The check engine light is on and the "ln 2" message displays under the odometer. When I turn the key on the oil and temp lights flash. Any ideas what might be the issue? I know lifters are common sources of the ticking. Does it sound theisable? Im new to the Audi world soany help is great appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Engine noise

its sounds like you spun a bearing and lost oil pressure... that would explain the ticking and now why the car won't start.

very bad stuff....

Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: snoman911

hey guys. I have a 96 Audi A4 Quattro. I bought it about 9 wks ago. Soon after buying it, it developed a tick in the engine. It kindof sounded like an exhaust leak at the manifold(Im not very mechanic so I dont know for sure). The tick didnt affect performance or my mpg, as it was my daily driver. For all its life its had synthetic oil through it, and I gave it a fresh change last week. Monday when I was coming home from work the engine gave out. It was fine all day, but near my exit the engine starting missing and losing power. I pulled off on a side street and it shut off and would not start. It turns over slowly but will not fire. The check engine light is on and the "ln 2" message displays under the odometer. When I turn the key on the oil and temp lights flash. Any ideas what might be the issue? I know lifters are common sources of the ticking. Does it sound theisable? Im new to the Audi world soany help is great appreciated. Thanks
and the way to differ cam ticking and crank ticking is... cam ticking will be half the speed of RPM. crank ticking will be the same speed as RPM

Old 03-13-2008, 02:28 AM

how bad is it if I did spin a bearing? does the whole engine have to come apart for repair? estimate for repair? its my daily driver so I most likely will have it fixed, just would be nice to have an idea of what I'm expecting to pay. thanks