General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:27 AM
1st Gear
Default ENGINE OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW WARNING

Hey guys,

English is not my mother tongue so please sorry for mistakes

I have a 96 Audi A4 2.6 V6 Quattro, 100000 miles. Five days ago "engine oil pressure too low" warning light went out on the display and that terrific 3x beep with it. It was beeping like crazy each 2 minutes... I stopped the car, checked front bottom of the car and noticed leaked oil on the bottom plastic engine part cover. I checked if there's sufficient engine oil level and there was enough of it. So I took the car to my friend who's a good mechanic and left the car there. Next day he called me that he cleaned the motor and pipes and everything and that he found a pipe broken near oil pump so he fixed it with some substance which needs 2 days to get hard. He said he fixed the problem, no more oil leaking, so I took the car back from him but the "engine oil pressure too low" still sometimes goes on. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. When it does, it usually goes on when I drive and shift from the 3rd gear to 4th gear somewhere around 2500 rpm. The funny part is that when I stomp on the accelerator and drive aggresively (let's say I rapidly accelerate from 25mph to 50mph at the 2nd gear), the f***ing beeping and warning light shuts the f*** up simply goes off and doesn't appear no matter what rpm or speed or gear but only until the next engine start. Then all this sh*t goes on again. Anyone has a clue? I don't and I'm desperate what to do. Is the only option for me to pay the Audi robbers $100 per hour to check this unreal nightmare??

Thanks guys for any clues you might have. [:-]

Old 06-29-2007, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: ENGINE OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW WARNING

Next time press the button, chances are it's the "Low oil level". The warning chime is the same.
If it is the low oil level, & the oil is full, the sensor is going bad.

Now if it really is the oil pressure, you NEED to test the actual oil pressure, if the pressure is low enough to turn the light on, your motor is not going to last long.
The sensor could also be bad, it's a PITA to get at.

Chances, are it the oil level sensor.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:13 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: ENGINE OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW WARNING

Thanks for reply,

no it wasn't low oil level warning, it was engine oil pressure too low.

The problem was fixed, it was a cracked hose. We washed the bottom cover of engine compartment to see where's the oil leaking from and found out the bad area. It was a small steel part (sensing head stylus) looks like a screw bolt, 2 to 3 inches in size. It was replaced and voila! The car is allright now. I'm sooo happythat therewasn't a worse problem with it, this experience was terrible!

Stay fine everybody andappreciation goes to 2k S4. Thanks

Brian, Central Europe.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

i got the same problem with my s4 b5 2000, i already did the change oil, change my oil sensor, but the engine is fine, i didn't hear any noise.
and i looked under the car there was some build up dirty oil in it.
what do i need to do?

S4 2000 NOGARO BLUE
AWE TUNING FULL EXHAUST
N710 DIVERTER VALVE
19" CROME RIMS
H&R COILOVERS FRONT AND REAR

Last edited by randy_adalem; 10-22-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil pressure

So I have a 2007 a4 Quattro 2.0 4 cylinder. When I bought the car it had 150k miles but with a new engine switched on it at 33k. I went to a shop and they put 10w30. Although the manual states it needs 5w40/30 I didn't really question it. After that I had oil leaks which the vacuum pump gave out.which gave me the oil pressure indicator. So I had to get it switched. Soon enough I got it switched and the oil pressure shows up again. I had the oil drained out and put new 5w40 with a additive to make the oil better. If I push the RPM on the car every now and then I still get the oil pressure sign. Was it the 10w30 that damaged my car? I never had issues before that oil change. My car is now 161k