General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

European Community (EC) Whole of Vehicle Approval

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Default European Community (EC) Whole of Vehicle Approval

Hi all

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I have searched without any luck. I'm hoping someone here can help.

I am shipping my 2007 Audi A4 S-line 2.0T from the UK back home to New Zealand. In order to be allowed entry I am required to prove that it meets New Zealand's emissions and frontal impact standards. I have no doubt that it does, but the Automobile Association in New Zealand have told me I need to send them the details contained on my car's European Community (EC) Whole of Vehicle Approval plate. Apparently this plate/sticker will contain a list of numeric codes that will make it clear that the two standards are met.

According to the car's manual, which appears to be pretty generic to a number of Audis from the same range, this information is contained "under the rear seat bench". As far as I can tell the seat is pretty fixed, so not sure how to check under it.

So my questions are; is there a way to look under the rear seat bench (it is the type that splits 60/40), or is there somewhere else on the car where you would expect this information to be found.

Would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Thanks very much!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 AM

Hi all

Don't know if any is interested, but I found the answer to my question, which was literally right under my nose. There is a plate on the left hand side of the engine when you lift the hood which contains the vehicle's VIN number and the EC Whole of Vehicle Approval number. I had thought this began with EC......., but it actually was e1 2001/116.

I got a lot of help from Wally Gee at the AA in New Zealand. What a legend this guy is, really helpful and very quick to respond to my emails. Wally was able to tell me that this number meant my vehicle complied with all of the standards (emissions, frontal impact etc) needed to be registered in New Zealand.

Last edited by jonarmournz; 08-20-2010 at 04:26 AM.