General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Extreme brake pedal vibration and flashing warning light

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Extreme brake pedal vibration and flashing warning light

Hey all, have just picked up an Audi 80 2.6 V6 as a runaround today, and what I thought was an obvious problem now has me stumped!

Found this forum and there seems to be a fair few knowledgeable people around so thought it worth an ask.

The problem I have is that at any time, whether stationary or driving there is really quite extreme vibration/pulsing felt through the brake pedal only (automatic by the way). The brake warning light is flashing also.

I thought it was a duff ABS unit but having removed the fuse, the relays and even unplugging the thing just to be sure I can't stop it! Im confused now as I was sure that's what it was!

Also it's worth noting that there is almost a ticking noise that accompanies the vibration and it rises and falls with the revs.

Any help appreciated!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

Anyone?

Could a dead brake booster or check valve cause this?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds like you have a pretty serious mechanical issue with your brakes, maybe really warped rotors.. I have never heard of either the brake booster or a check valve causing an issue like this.. I would take the wheels off and have a look/ get the brakes checked by a brake shop..

Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your response but it is definetly not warped rotors!

This happens the whole time the engine is running, regardless of whether its in gear or not and when it is completely stationary. For it to be discs then they would have to be rotating.

The ticking noise relating to engine rpm is more noticeable in the cabin than the engine bay so I'm still thinking this could be something to do with the brake booster or vacuum pipe. I assume this is behind the dash somewhere as its not in the engine bay!