General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default fog light question

hey, ive got a 99 a4 and i want foglights, but my car doesnt have the foglight setup. i have the button, but it turns on foglights in the actual headlight assembly.

what i WANT is to install some foglights down in the lower grill like most people already have.

i heard from someone that its really easy, but thats all the info i have, haha.

i guess im asking if anyone has ever done this, or if its very easy or not. i thought i was wires hanging down there for if you wanted to just plug them in, but i dont know if i even have the brackets to mount fog lights.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Don't Change the resistance of the system

It should be an easy job if your mechanically inclined. matter of mounting them. Brackets would look like sh$# IMHO. I'm sure you could retrofit them in somehow pull whatevers needed of a junked B5 that may have had them. First things first if there are no pre-run wires, say goodbye to your headlight/fogs. If you keep them and tap off that circuit it will f$@% things up with the fused circuit resistance of the circuit would change current would increase bad things happen in those situations. What you could do is extend the wires that feed the current h/f, in craftsman like manner i.e. use same size conducter possibly even up size it to avoid increasing resistance, (which if increased, may trigger a check light), make good splices (solder+shrink tube leave no conductor or portion of your splice exposed to the elements) to where your new fogs are being placed. You will want to to avoid tapping off other supplies as the electrical systems in these cars I have discovered to be extremely sensitive. With that in mind when choosing lamps to install in the fog-lights use lamps with the same resistance as the lamps in the current h/f (counter person can help with this) this will avoid any codes being triggered because the electrical system will notice absolutely no change whatsoever. With a little bit of diligence this should be an easy job. Good Luck.

Last edited by krystallbluea4; 10-09-2008 at 12:32 AM.