General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Follow up on my CEL: 17883. Need more assistance. More info. Long Post. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Default Follow up on my CEL: 17883. Need more assistance. More info. Long Post. Please help!

a few weeks ago i posted about my code 17883 that i've been batteling to get rid of it. Incase you didnt see my last thread...heres some info about the code just to fill you in.
17883: Evap Malfunction: No signal to LDP/ Open Circuit.
Well with trying to figure it out i tested alot of lines, checked for leaks...replaced the n80 valve. Replaced the Leak Detection Pump in the driver rear wheel well.
I replaced the LDP yesterday. And ive been driving the car to and from work..and around since replacing the pump and no check engine light.
I just went for fuel. I turned off the car. Filled it up. Put the gas cap on until it clicked 3 times...went to pull out of the gas station and boom CEL came back. Now that im thinking about it...im guessing it can be a faulty gas cap, although from all my searching ive never seen a gas cap issue throw that particular code.
Theres one other thing. The first time the code ever came I had filled up my tank...but i topped it off a little. In other words.. It clicked at 31.40 and i put the rest of the fuel in to reach an even 32. I started the car and boom CEL.
Ever since then i have no been able to get rid of it. Every time i reset it..it comes back.
There was one point where it stayed out for about 3 days...but eventually it came back.
Normally it comes back within 2 short drives.
But i changed the LDP yesterday and it didnt come on until tonight when i did the same exact thing i did the first time it ever occured. I slightly topped off my tank around 50 cents worth.

So after all my rambling..heres the question.
If you top off the tank...is there perhaps a tube that the excess fuel goes in that might clog a line that may interfere with the signal the Leak Detection pump is supposed to get? Or am i just an ******* ans wasted this much time for a faulty gas cap.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the long post.
THanks
John

Old 01-26-2007, 12:35 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Follow up on my CEL: 17883. Need more assistance. More info. Long Post. Please help!

Are you sure the electrical connection is good to the LDP. Wires may be dirty
causing an open circuit.