General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front pads and rotors - hard job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Front pads and rotors - hard job?

My 1995 Audi 90 CS needs new front pads and rotors bad. I don't have a lot of extra cash so I was wondering how hard of a job it would be to install these myself?

Old 06-29-2006, 11:10 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Front pads and rotors - hard job?

Brakes are not a hard job. For saftys sake, i would recommend having someone who has performed a brake repair help you out. Theyre not something you want to make a mistake on. All you have to do is remove the calipers. Usually a couple bolts will do that. Use a c clamp to push in the caliper piston.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Default RE: Front pads and rotors - hard job?

Also for safety use a jack stand.

okey so
get a set of alien ranches, starting from small and all the way to the 8mm, can get a cheap crap.

if you change your rotors, you still have to remove the caliper from the carrier to change the pads.
you need a 15mm wrench THIN, and 13 mm socket or a wrench.

then you jack up the car and PUT the JACK STAND where it supose to be, my car rolled on me 3 times and away from me 5 times when I was doing the rear. thanks god that I didnt remove the tire.

any ways, dont forget to turn your wheel so that the caliper facing out.

then remove the tire and use the 15mm and 13 mm to remove the caliper from its carrier. (look at the top and the bottom, remove the bottom one, that way you just pull the caliper up, and remove the break pads. You will need to compress the caliper, or else the pads wont slide over new rotor.

then after you removed the pads, next feel your way into the rear of the caliper, ther be a 2 alien bolts, 6mm I think, use the new keas with a extension tube to pop those bad boys, I think you have to pull up.

well then just swap the rotor, and put back the bolts, new pads, tight the bolts.

In my opinion, you might want to re grease the bolts that carri the caliper in the caliper carrier. they might stick time to time.

have questions, PM me or IM me, I have yahoo, MSN, and AIM.