General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel supply issues, Maybe pressure regulator on Audi 90 sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Default Fuel supply issues, Maybe pressure regulator on Audi 90 sport

hey guys,

I have just moved to Australia from the UK and needed to buy a cheap solid car, so I bought an Audi 90 Sport 2.3

Its been a great car, but has illustatrated two issues so far..

1) The car never starts on the first key turn, but nearly always on the second. Fuel pump primes, then you try and start.... and after a few second it bursts into life. You have to wait though before you rev the engine cause otherwise the engine gets Boggy in the revs and sounds like it wants to flood. Leave it for about 10 seconds and rev away.. its fine to go.

2) If we come to a hill (like the one that we have to drive up every day) then as you are accelerating the engine starts to fluctuate its revs (even though you are not changing the position of the accelerator), usually dropping the revs then back up, like a pulsation feeling of the car jerkin up the hill.

On a smaller note, the oil light and the coolant light flash on intermittantly when the car is turned on, but these turn off immediately. Oil levels are good as are the coolant levels. Not too worried about this though. Also sometimes when you turn the car on, the indicators will not work... you'll turn the car of and on and they'll work again... changed the relay on this but no difference at all!!

My ideas are that this might be related to some of the following:

Fuel pressure regulator dodgy,
Major levels of crap in the tank / the fuel lines / dirty injectors,
Cold start sensor.... I have heard about this but not sure where it is.

I have tried running slick 50 engine cleaner through the system, but it makes no difference at all. Normally on my other cars back home (mainly GM engined stuff) this would be a great engine gutter, disposing of all the crap in the engine. Been using it for years!!

Now heres another observation.... the engine runs a hell of a lot better on what is called +10 fuel out here in Oz, (Basically 10% ethanol added to the fuel). when we use normal fuel the car above problems are accentuated all the more and is literally un-driveable.

Just thought I'd try an audi forum as most of my experience is with Vauxhall / chevrolet / Opel / Austin / Morris.

Thanks Guys,

Jonathan Weston

Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Default Fuel supply issues, Not starting on 1st key turn

hey guys,

I have just moved to Australia from the UK and needed to buy a cheap solid car, so I bought an Audi 90 Sport 2.3

Its been a great car, but has illustatrated two issues so far..

1) The car never starts on the first key turn, but nearly always on the second. Fuel pump primes, then you try and start.... and after a few second it bursts into life. You have to wait though before you rev the engine cause otherwise the engine gets Boggy in the revs and sounds like it wants to flood. Leave it for about 10 seconds and rev away.. its fine to go.

2) If we come to a hill (like the one that we have to drive up every day) then as you are accelerating the engine starts to fluctuate its revs (even though you are not changing the position of the accelerator), usually dropping the revs then back up, like a pulsation feeling of the car jerkin up the hill.

On a smaller note, the oil light and the coolant light flash on intermittantly when the car is turned on, but these turn off immediately. Oil levels are good as are the coolant levels. Not too worried about this though. Also sometimes when you turn the car on, the indicators will not work... you'll turn the car of and on and they'll work again... changed the relay on this but no difference at all!!

My ideas are that this might be related to some of the following:

Fuel pressure regulator dodgy,
Major levels of crap in the tank / the fuel lines / dirty injectors,
Cold start sensor.... I have heard about this but not sure where it is.

I have tried running slick 50 engine cleaner through the system, but it makes no difference at all. Normally on my other cars back home (mainly GM engined stuff) this would be a great engine gutter, disposing of all the crap in the engine. Been using it for years!!

Now heres another observation.... the engine runs a hell of a lot better on what is called +10 fuel out here in Oz, (Basically 10% ethanol added to the fuel). when we use normal fuel the car above problems are accentuated all the more and is literally un-driveable.

Just thought I'd try an audi forum as most of my experience is with Vauxhall / chevrolet / Opel / Austin / Morris.

Thanks Guys,

Jonathan Weston