General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Get me away from DSMs, help me get into an Audi!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Get me away from DSMs, help me get into an Audi!

Hey all, first off I didn't think this belonged in the 'new member' thread, hope this suits it better. Well I'm Stefan and I'm new to Audi. Ever since I was 16 I've been into DSMs (90-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser) and have loved every minute of it. I started a new job earlier this year and am in need of a more reliable car, hence why I'm looking at stock B5 A4's. I'd pick up another stock turbo+awd Eclipse but the 2dr aspect isn't appealing to me anymore and with all these parts laying everywhere I couldn't help myself from keeping it stock much longer. This all brings me to the question.

I've done quite a bit of research and through all the FAQ's on here but still have a few Q's. How is the reliability with the 1.8T vs 2.8? What should I look for as far as common problems go? What don't you like about your A4? Any helpful maintenance walk-throughs (I know the 4g63 platform like the back of my hand, now this German engineering is going to mess me up for a while ) I appreciate any help whatsoever!

Here are my Eclipses, if there's any DSM interest on the board

'95 GS-T, turbo FWD, more cosmetic mods than anything, quick little car though
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...oostin/GST.jpg

'91 GSX, turbo AWD, broke into the 12's for under $6k including cost of car
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ostin/gsx2.jpg

Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Get me away from DSMs, help me get into an Audi!

used to have a 1g tsi with a cyclone motor. that thing was quick but extremely unrelaible.. Problems with audi 1.8t: super slow (will cost an arm and 2 legs to make anywhere near as fast as your dsm.. Pros: the ladies love em

Old 07-20-2006, 03:19 AM
1st Gear

I'm not expecting an A4 to be as quick as my 1g GSX, I'm not looking to even touch the engine on the Audi, just suspension/wheels and *maybe* a small chip upgrade way down the road. The 1.8T isn't awful slow though, is it? ~150-170hp and tq, right? I found a great deal on a '96 2.8 FWD but come winter I'll wish I had the AWD. Which A4 do you guys think I should go for? What I want out of the Audi is a reliable DD, 25+mpg and simply not SLOW.. I'm not buying for speed but it at least has to be able to pass a car in a hurry if needed, etc.

Any other input on what you don't like about your Audi?
i.e. - On my DSMs I hate the cheap interior, weak transmissions and leg/head room.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

it starts with a chip and then snowballs into a stage three turbo kit... and these cars have pretty good passsing ability on the highway

Old 07-20-2006, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

Oh I know all about the modding bug

Any input on the downsides of the A4s though?

Old 08-16-2006, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

i have a 01 1.8t quattro and I LOVE it!VERY fun to drive. It is fast enough to past people whenever when it was stock. i only have an intake, coilovers, and apr hoses which made it even more fun to drive. it is very reliable i have about 97k miles on it and had no problems with it until now (misfiring). about to get a apr chip when i get her fixed thou