General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hardest issue ever encountered, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Hardest issue ever encountered, please help

Whats goin on audi guys , Got a very big issue with my 1997 aeb a4.
Also my car is a 5 speed, frontdrive , 201k,

So the problem: When i drive if i advance the throttle at all it starts misfiring very badly and if i floor it.. it only boosts about 8 psi. It shoots fire and seems to dump too much fuel. But because of the low boost I think its lean.
The mods I have are: Ko4 turbo, intake, turbo xs dv, 3 inch exhaust with cat, walbro 255 fuel pump, front mount ic, thats about it. the only codes i got were a multiple cylinder misfire, p1613, and something dealing with the tps. however after replacing tps sensor nothing positive happened whatsoever so I honestly think mine was fine.

What I have replaced: new o2 sensors, new maf sensor, new coil packs and boots, new tps, new plugs, new icm. I have checked for boost and vacuum leaks and found none. I did a compression test on the cold motor and got 147, and 150 on two cylinders each. Im thinking maybe it could be dirty or messed up injectors. However i tested fuel pressure at idle and I only got 47psi. So maybe a pump or a combination between the two?
If anybody knows of anything else it may be I would really appreciate any feedback I need my car running better as of right now I cannot even go anywhere. Thank you for any feedback! Please help!!

Last edited by 1.8_Boosted; 02-07-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Site Moderator

Definately a fuel issue. Sputtering like that more or less happens when its dumping too much fuel. Given the mods you to take it to a tuner (not a mechanic) to get it all worked out, you may need to change the pump/injectors or maybe add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

P.S. Not the hardest issue ever encountered to a qualified tuner LOL!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 PM
1st Gear
Default yea

well i have some 310cc injectors I plan to put in tomorrow, and as far as tuning goes I blew my ko3 and put the ko4 in and it ran really great for about two weeks then all of sudden came the horrible misfires and sputtering. So im going to order a stock pump tomorrow i guess and throw the injectors in and the new fuel filter to see what happens. But if my fuel pressure was a little low at idle would you assume that under load it dramatically decreases and runs lean? Thanks for your feed back! much appreciated.

Bobby

Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Site Moderator

No, you can't shot gun this car back to health, you need to get it diagnosed. Throwing parts at it will get you nowhere. It needs to be checked out with scan tools and fuel pressure readings while running, under boost etc. The fuel pressure should remain constant, there is a wide slu of things that can cause problems given your mod list.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Alright well today i checked my whole Pressure system and found a large rip in the hose that has the smaller hose leading to my diverter valve. So i repaired it really well until I order a new one and it seems to be running way better. Night and day difference. One issue it still has is that If I got full boost in any gear, then depress the clutch while letting off the gas it tries to die and will die unless I blip the throttle. Any ideas as to what could cause that?