General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: What is the best engine to us when replacing a '04 A4 3.0L engine?
0%
0%
other
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

2004 A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A4 Quattro

I have run into two problems that I now need advise on.

1. I recently changed my front struts, axles, & forward & rearward ball joints on both the drive and passenger side of my '04 A4 Quattro base model. on the passenger side it is now making a metal on metal clunking noise which it was not doing prior to the changes. All changes BTW were with OEM parts. I doubled and triple checked all connections and bolts and nothing is out of torch spec. I'm stumped, maybe the hub assembly?

2. last weekend, I had a mechanic change the alternator (to a new OEM alt.) this weekend while trouble shooting item number one; I noticed a small plume of smoke coming from the passenger side rear of the engine. Upon closer inspection I could see that the smoke (which smelt like electrical wires burning) was coming from the bottom of the engine towards the back. If your looking at the fuel packs on the passenger's side it was under the air hose where it meets the carborater and it was directly below that. As I was looking for the source I noticed my driver side headlight flicker (headlight *** was off at the time). I have a short video of it and can attach it if needed.

3. Lastly, while dealing with these issues my car threw a P0102 code which we all know is the Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Low. As I ponder this, it might be because I have a gap in my air hose from taking it off and on. I just replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor last month so I doubt its that. Could be the O2 sensor though.

I welcome any comments or suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.