General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP!!! Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Default HELP!!! Engine problems

I have a 2004 Audi Allroad with only 20,000k that got some front end damage from an accident about 3 years ago. I couldn’t find any parts used and the dealerships prices were crazy high so I decided to park it until I found the parts to fix it. Well now it’s 3 years later and the car has only 20,000k and I found all the parts. So first I sent it to a local shop with the front end disassembled and had the do the timing belt, tensioner, pulley and one of the timing belt cam gears I think its called because it had a nick in it from the accident. The timing belt never got damaged or came off but I wanted to change it while I was already in there. After the shop put the belt on and sealed it with al the covers I took it away to my garage and put the whole front end together rad support, rad, intercoolers fans, lights etc . Once I got it all together I filled all the fluids and double checked the levels. Finally ready to start the car when I started it the car made a really loud diesel knocking sound so I shut it down. Checked everything again and it looked fine. So I started it again and the same thing. Now after the 2 starts it will not start anymore it turns over but will not start. Is this bent valves? Did they install the timing belt wrong? How can I tell if the valves are bent? Please help me what should I do?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP!!! Engine problems

sounds like the timing is all messed up...

2.7 bi turbo i'm assuming... Audi has very specific tools for this engine to maintain timing when doing the timing belt.

and to check for bent valves you need to pull the intake manifold off.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Default RE: HELP!!! Engine problems

But if the timing is messed up should the car have started. I know it would turn over but it shouldn't have actually started and run for the few seconds that it did and not only once but started and ran 2 times. I was thinking that maybe from sitting for the 3 years that the valves were sticking. Could this be a possibility. I appreciate your input. Thanks