General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! Loss of power and lots more! New User :D

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Help! Loss of power and lots more! New User :D

Hello So here is the whole scenario. (Sorry)

So I bought my 2000 Audi TT 1.8 a little over a month ago. Been lurking here ever since. Now I have some problems and hoping for some help.

A week and a half ago I had the dealership replace the timing belt, tensioner & water pump. Picked it up Thursday and had no problems until Monday. On the way to work I get on the highways behind some slow pokes Went to speed up from 60 to 80 and the car started bucking and loosing all power. Made it to the side of the road and then the car would buck and stall after 1500 rpm.

Got it towed to the dealership for free. (Only light that came on was the traction control light as soon as the car bucked the first time, no CEL).

Dealership checked for vacuum leaks and ruled that out. Ran the codes and only found a stored MAFS error. After checking the MAFS and such they found nothing wrong. They cleared the code and the car ran "flawlessly" as they said. Yesterday car started bucking at about 2k rpm and tehn would get going and run fine. It was hit and miss on takeoff if it would buck/ loose power.

Tried disconecting the MAFS and couldnt get it to do it but then again it was hit and miss before anyway so not sure. When it bucks the traction control light comes on and stays on. I have tried disconnecting the battery for a little while and driving down the straight rd at 19 mph for a while and nothing.

and today I have no boost.... Im all limped up. I have a boost gauge and it will hit "4" boost max but sit under 0 the whole time unless floored. Car doesn't wanna go fast. Before when I stepped on it it would hit "20". Can't peel out..no power (not that I want to). Tried battery thing again with MAFS unplugged and plugged.

I plan on cleaning the MAFS tomorrow and see what happens but I am starting to think something else is wrong. Anything else I can do before taking it to the dealership again. I do not have a VAG-COM yet or any kind of code checker. I really like the car but it is causing a lot of problems fast. Thanks for hanging with me on this.