General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How expensive is to drive an AUDI (not)only for doctors and lawyers?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default How expensive is to drive an AUDI (not)only for doctors and lawyers?)

Are AUDI’s for lawyers and doctors only?

Have no plans to frighten anybody. Most of us are dedicated users and wallets-ready.

This is to have some info in order to make projections for the future..

I’d like to gather the collective experience on average repair cost incurred after the warranty expired till up to 100 k miles.

Specify model, year, engine.
Please include the cost of any pending or due repairs.
Do not include cost of mods and any upgrades..
If you have not changed timing belt yet, please specify.
If you’ve done DIY (no labor costs), please specify.

$ Total of repairs (as a dropdown on majors)

If I’m missing points, feel free to add- open for suggestions!

Thx,

Old 02-27-2008, 05:50 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: How expensive is to drive an AUDI (only for doctors and lawyers?)

Wheel bearing 84K mi. $250
MAF 87K mi. $250 remanufactured
Tie rod ends110K mi.$450
Brake pads F/R 119K mi. $425
Steering rack132K mi.$1,000

Timing belt job was done @ 84K mi. $710

Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM
4th Gear

alot of us are actually students who own B5's and the occasional A6 and B6 driver. alot of just say WTF is so special about these cars and do our own maintence. note the older audis had a few more bugs than the newer one so not really expensive, alot of guys here have modded high HP 1.8t's. most of the stuff crazyhawk said is pretty much thats all needed and using the slighly more expensive synthtic oil helps.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

Ather typical repairs done between 50k and 80k?

-Drive shafts cv boots-?
-Cam adgusters gaskets /cam shafts seals, valve cover gaskets?
-Vacuum (crankcase ventilation)?
-Air pimp and valves?
- Trip service?

***What about turbos on 2.7T ?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:59 PM
4th Gear

all those should be done at about the times you mentioned although many of those parts can last for quite some time. the vac lines are somethign i see go in these cars quite often but very cheap fix, the boots tear on few cars (happened to me at 150k) and as for the gaskets they should last unless previous owner really neglected the engine and the seals eventually dried up. as for the turbos on the 2.7t they're the same as those on the 1.8ts K03 compressor, the turbine i believe is different. im not too sure on these though since i have heard of many k03's failing, on the 2.7t ive only heard of the turbos failing due to a torn TBB and in my buddies case running too much boost without supporting mods.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SAudi

alot of us are actually students who own B5's and the occasional A6 and B6 driver. alot of just say WTF is so special about these cars and do our own maintence. note the older audis had a few more bugs than the newer one so not really expensive, alot of guys here have modded high HP 1.8t's. most of the stuff crazyhawk said is pretty much thats all needed and using the slighly more expensive synthtic oil helps.
i severely doubt that...

2001-2004 A4s are the most prone to break down and have way more common problems.

Older cars might seem like it... but its just normal wear and tear for the age of the car.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

my signature says it all.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear

Audi's are for people who enjoy a luxury sports tourer and also are willing to take care of them. See signature for A6 info.

74k - alternator $650
79k - chipped, DV, and TBB $1300
90k - clutch and flywheel, replaced all drivetrain fluids and secondary coolant pump $3000
94k - timing belt $800
104k - brake pads, rear rotors, turned front rotors $500
now at 115k

Old 07-19-2008, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

timing belt job @ 52k parts $400 form a reputable online dealer, labor $600
alternator @ 53k $350 did it myself
belt auto tensioner @ 49k $95 did it myself.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Default RE: How expensive is to drive an AUDI (not)only for doctors and lawyers?)

So far my car has been great. It's a 99 2.8 30v, quattro, five-speed, loaded. I bought it with 130k on it, and 20 months later I'm at just under 158k miles. The previous owners took amazing care of the car, and did all recommended services at or ahead of schedule (verified by receipts I was given at the time of purchase).

My timing belt service was done in full just a couple weeks before I bought the car. The car has had its front control arms changed as well by prior owners.

My own incurred costs include parts only, as I DIY my repairs.

Repairs/replacements that I've done:

Rear brake pads - $50ish (had flush and fill of brake system done at a shop)
Oil changes - every 3k miles or so using conventional 5W30 oil (~$20-25 each)
Front brake rotors and pads - not sure of OEM cost, because I upgraded to A8 brakes (drilled and slotted) with Hawk pads (total cost $444)
Replaced coolant temp sensor ($20)
Replaced cam position sensor (pocket part at a salvage yard, but available online around $80)
Column combination switch failure (headlight stalk failed and cruise control stalk failed - bought used from AF member for $50, retail is $158)

Current repairs pending:

Driver's rear wheel bearing replacement ($57 for new bearing and axle bolt from ECS Tuning)
Driver's rear ABS sensor replacement (damaged from wheel bearing - price varies, but retail is over $120)
AC not working (likely fan switch from what I've diagnosed so far, maybe $11 for the part)
Fuel sending unit acting screwy (usually broken wire that can be repaired with a new piece of wire - doing this today; if sender is needed, it's about $85)
Spark plugs (nothing apparently wrong with them, but I've never changed them so I'm going to - for $25-30 it's cheap insurance for optimal gas mileage)
Cabin air filter is filthy - blew mine out with air compressor, but replacement price is about $35 from AutoZone

That's it. Not bad for this mileage and year of car. No other untoward failures have happened, and the car has been rock-solid reliable.

Quick Reply: How expensive is to drive an AUDI (not)only for doctors and lawyers?)