General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How good are the E-Bay shop manuals compared to the Bentley ones?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 09:02 PM
1st Gear
Default How good are the E-Bay shop manuals compared to the Bentley ones?

My problem with the head unit is leading me to go and buy the manual for the car. Since it's a 97 A6 so no Haynes manual for this car . A typical e-bay sells these for about $20 after S & H where as the Bentley one (CD Rom version) costs about $100 + S&H. I'm sure of the quality of the Bentley ones but I don't know how these cheap e-bay copies are? So just wondering if anyone has bought any shop manuals from those cheap e-bay sellers that claim it's the dealer's version? and if so how helpfull it has been in terms of detail and correct instructions? I notice they have multiple models on one copy (rather than having a seperate version for each model), is it easy to find the right diagram for the right car?

Any help is highly appreciated...

Kianoosh

Old 10-05-2005, 09:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: How good are the E-Bay shop manuals compared to the Bentley ones?

Not sure about the cheap versions. I got a CD-ROM from e-bay and finally got the ownership changed over to me today. If you buy the CD-ROM from another owner, make absolutely sure that owner will assist you in the conversion. You have to call Bentley(ebahn) software support and jump through a bunch of hoops to get the transfer complete.

I'm looking forward to actually seeing the level of detail in the Bentley publication. I have a Haynes manual, but it simply wasn't as detailed as I would like it to be.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:05 AM
1st Gear

So have you tried the Bentley software yet?

Kianoosh

Old 10-16-2005, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

If you buy a CD ROM on eBay, make sure you are getting a genuine, model- and year-specific manual, and not some generic, super-basic POS. Awhile back, I ordered a manual for a 2003 Dodge Stratus, only to discover that the CD was basic auto shop 101, with none of the specific information I required. I left negative feedback for the first time ever, and finally got a refund. It cost the seller $20 to get the negative feedback erased through arbitration.

Fortunately, the seller has since had the good sense to return to clothing and collectibles and to stay out of the automobile repair CD business. However, I see several listings which look ominously similar, so BUYER BEWARE!

Old 10-17-2005, 02:53 AM
1st Gear

Thanks John,

I think I did some of my math! I asked the eBay guy to send me some screen shots and also checked out his previous buyers' comments about the software. Everyone seemed happy and they said the software was usefull. I'll see soon how far my $20 can get me!!! ;-). Oh BTW there is a guy on eBay that sells Bentley CDs for about $70 US and he claims they are new and original. If anyone would like I could show them this guy as well as another guy who claims to sell the software for all Audis up to 2005! This is what I ordered and I'm hoping it's the real deal....

Will keep you updated,

Kianoosh

Old 10-17-2005, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

$70 for the Bentley CD seems reasonable. If I recall correctly, Uwe Ross (Herr VAG-COM of RossTech) did a bulk buy at one time, at about this price. Make sure you are able to register the CD, which has to be keyed electronically to your hard drive. When the hard drive on my wife's computer crashed, I had to contact Bentley's customer service to transfer the CD to a different computer. I have both the large paperback manual and the CD ROM for the 2001 Passat, and find the hard copy more convenient. Neither is great, but it's all we have.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

I finally got the license transferred and can now use my Bentley CD. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with it. I was expecting a severe level of detail for everything from flushing coolant to rebuilding the engine. Let's just say it doesn't cover everything. I guess they assume a certain level of automotive repair knowledge when creating the documents. That assumption is unfortunate for me, because I want detail on even the smallest non-complicated things.

I flushed my coolant over the weekend (added non-G12 about a year ago.) The Bentley manual did not have procedures for doing that. My Haynes manual did. Go figure.

I haven't checked all of the docs out and I'm sure there is some great stuff, I think I had unrealistic expectations.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

I strongly recommend owning both the Bentley and the Haynes, as I do. (Bentley for the 2001 Passat, Bentley for the 1996 A4, Haynes which fortunately covers both.)

Old 11-11-2005, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

Well guys,

Here is the news! I got that software that I was talking about from the ebay guy. It took a while to get here, but it was definitely worth it! It is the real thing! It has all the manuals up to 2005 models of Audi VW and Seat. It takes a while to get around and it certainly wasn't built for someone with no training. But it has most of things that you want. It's what the dealer uses! So I think it may be worth your time.

If interested, let me know and I'll send you his way.

Kianoosh