General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hydraulic Clutch Problems Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Default Hydraulic Clutch Problems Audi A4

My A4 Clutch packed up and I replaced the clutch and pressure plate. After this the clutch pedal stayed on the floor and I obtained a service manual which indicated the clutch must be bled. I battled for hours with no luck! There seems to be no pedal pressure on the clutch. I eventualy removed clutch master cylinder and this seems to be in good condition? I found only one article in the forums and the person solved it by pressurising the hydraulic brake fluid reservoir to bleed the clutch under pressure. Is this how it must be done cause there is no indication in the ownersworkshop manual of pressure bleeding! Please any audi mechanics out there HELP!!!!!! Desperate car been in workshop for a week!!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Default RE: Hydraulic Clutch Problems Audi A4

Hi All

Got it sorted

Thanx

Old 10-05-2005, 02:38 PM
2nd Gear

what was the problem, how'd u fix it?

Old 10-06-2005, 05:31 AM

Hi there

Somehow air got into the hydrolic system. The way i fixed it was by bleading it. It was quite a mission to do. I had to half disasemble the master cylinder (plastic Type with 4 clips holding the piston in place) in order to get the breakfluid to flow freely throught it. (disconnect the clutch pedal and undo the clips. The whole piston and carrier will slide out. Take care not to pull it out all the way as you will mess breakfluid in your car. Pull it till the clips start to emerge from the housing Also make sure that the piston is pulled out as far as it can go) I applied preasure (Not too much as you can pop the piston out of the MC and get breake fluid in you car) on the top of the system with an air compressor and the bleeding nipple on the slave cylinder fully open. It helps if you have a piece of clear pipe on the bleeding nipple so you can see when all the air is out. Once you are sure all air is out stop applying preasure form the top. Close the bleeding nipple and then reassemble the master cylinder. Take care that you do not push the piston into the MC before the piston carrier is clipped back in (while pussing the caarrier back in the piston will move in as well, that is fine as it has nowhere else to go).

This is not how the manual exlpained, but the manual's methode did not work on my car. The thing is that for some reason I could not get breakefluid into the MC when it was assembled, no mater how much preasure I applied.

Hope this explination helped.

Kind regards

Hornet99

Old 10-07-2005, 05:18 AM
4th Gear

holly ****, I think I will let the shop do it now.