General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key Reprogramming Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Key Reprogramming Question...

Okay... This is a wierd one, but here goes!

I have an Audi A4 2002 that unfortunately, was recently sabatoged (re-wired electrical, plastic engine covers removed & gas siphoned out of the tank). Obviously, since you need a key to access both the gas tank & the engine, I'm wondering how this was possible?

What is the exact procedure for reprogramming a key & exactly what is needed to do that? Can any key be used? I have read several threads in the forums here, as well as on other sites, but they all give different procedures. I have an idea as to who did this to my car & I'm trying to figure out how probable it is that they did, in fact, do it.

Thanks in advance for any info given...

Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Key Reprogramming Question...

from all the ones I've seen, the basics are pretty much teh same, only the details differ. Bottom line, you need two keys, one of which is CURRENTLY programed to the car, and accecc to the ignition, i.e. INSIDE teh car. Or, possibly, a VAG-COM and access to the interior.

Does that answer your question?

Old 06-14-2006, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for the reply... It was quite helpful. I do have a couple more questions, however & I hope that you, or someone else can enlighten me.

I have no idea what a 'VAG-COM' is... So, I guess that would be good to know. The other question I have is approximately how long of a process is the actual reprogramming of a key? I have read other posts & it seems rather involved... Like, "hold this button down, turn key 3 times to right quickly, thern once to left & hold for 30 seconds" I also saw somewhere else that all you had to do was stick it in the door lock, turn & hold for 30 seconds... Or something like that.

I saw somewhere that ANY Audi key could be used if you have a valet key. I'm sure that there is an awful lot of inaccurate info floating around out there & I'm just trying to get the facts straight.

Anyways, again... Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Senior Administrator

for the VAG tool goto: http://www.ross-tech.com/

as far as reprograming goes, if you've done it before it only takes about 20-30 seconds, once you're familiar with teh steps...