General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

knocking sound-desperately need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:02 PM
1st Gear
Default knocking sound-desperately need help

Hi everyone
I have a 97 Cabriolet, and it developed weird knocking sound last night. I tried to change a taillight last night, and I blew a fuse by accident. After that incident, the car began to have the knocking sound when I turn the power on. The car starts OK. It sounds like coming from under the shifting gear or somewhere behind the stereo system. However, I can feel the vibration from the shifting gear. I also hear the clicking in the fuse box when I tried to check the fuses. I did not see any blown fuses at all. I did turn off the car for few hours and turned on again. The knocking sound is still there. I desperately need help to solve this problem. I have not tried to drive the car yet because I don't know is it transmission related or not but the vibration I felt from the shifting gear makes me worried. Thanks for your help

Anthony
Update: The knocking sound stops when I step on the brake or shift gear to R or D. I drove it to work today and it is still smooth like usual. However, the knocking sound still bothers me when I park the car. Hope this will give more hint.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:50 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: knocking sound-desperately need help

Yikes, that is a hard one to diagnose over the internet. Sorry!