General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

leaking antifreeze

Old 04-01-2017, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Default leaking antifreeze

will the water pump leak if it goes bad ? I watched a youtube video where the guy changed his water pump he removed the whole front end of the car . the bumper guards.the headlights, cooling fans , and the radiator is this necessary? if I have to do this I am going to replace the timing belts while it all apart. I see in the video this bar that holds cam gear in time . where would I get one of these bars thanks for the help 2002 Audi Allroad A6 C5 2.7T

Old 04-03-2017, 10:56 AM
2nd Gear

Yes you 'll need to remove the front bumper and such. It's not nearly as difficult as it looks. And it's the ONLY way to get to the front of the engine to do the job. You don't have to totally remove it but just undo the radiator hoses on the passenger side leaving the transmission cooler lines and AC stuff alone on the drivers side. The front will swing out enough to work on it.

Look on Youtube and see if there are some videos showing how to remove the front fascia. You can get the bar and crank lock pin off an eBay vendor. I got mine there last year when I had to replace the cam chain tensioners on my 4.2.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

thanks Dave you have been a lot of help

Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

antifreeze comes out as soon as I put it in . it comes out on the front left side above the alternator area will the water pump leak that quickly even when the motor is not running?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 AM
2nd Gear

I can if the the shaft seal has failed.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

ok I got the front end off and the timing belt covers off, I put water in and it looks like it is leaking out around the top of thermostat cover, is this something common? and I think that cover is plastic can I replace it with a metal one ? thanks

Old 04-06-2017, 08:13 AM
2nd Gear

That's a possibility but I'm not sure. You may have to go back with another plastic cover if it's cracked or warped. I think you can even slip it out without disturbing the timing belts.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

my leak was the thermostat cover sense I got everything apart I'm going to change the water pump, thermostat, timing belt cam seals, and front crank seal can u tell how to get the crankshaft lock pin in I'm finding it very hard to get to thanks

Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear

Ebay.. All day.. Get the cam lock bar too. You'll need it. Trust me. 3391 VW AUDI Twin Camshaft Holder Engine Repair Tool With 3242 Crank Locking Pin | eBay

You'll also need this to get the cam gears loose to remove the seals without pulling the cams out of the head. A regular 3 jaw puller will not fit or grab the back of the gear when it's in the head. I need to pick one of these up myself. I had the cams totally out of the head when I did mine so I was able to use a regular gear puller. The next time I do the timing belt, I'll need this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Audi-V6-V...EAAOSwmfhX7cS4

Last edited by dave944; 04-10-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

,I got the cam lock bar and the crankshaft lock pin, my problem is I cant get to the area where the crankshaft lock pin goes. I can see it but I'm not sure how to get the plug out. I cant seem to get a socket the bolt that holds the plug, it in a weird spot the video I watched shows it on the driver side of the block, like I said I can see but not sure how to get to it any suggestions thanks Mike

Last edited by spikkeman; 04-11-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leaking antifreeze